Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Flat rubber roof. Can I add a small curb to two sides and slope run-off to the 3rd

First time on the forum. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have a 100 year old house with a flat roof over the kitchen and porch/entry area. I ripped the old tin roof off as well as some layers of asphalt. I noticed some low spots so I pulled the substrate up. I pulled the rotten wood out, did some re-framing, and buttoned it up.

I am now considering my options for rubber roof design.

Consider the pictures below. I am standing over the porch area. The area to the front of me (be the picnic table) is where I want the water to drain. As it stands, the roof is sloped to drain to the left where run-off will go into a gutter.

I would like to build a short curb behind me and to the left, and reslope the roof so that the water is directed to the far end of the roof (by the sawzall or picnic table). I will have a short gutter here which will take all of the run-off from the roof.

Can I do this? I don't want gutters on all three sides but I also don't want to create a drainage nightmare.

This is MN so we get cold and snowy. There is a door access to this roof so I can clean the snow off. I will also likely slipper a deck onto the top of the rubber roof next summer.

a

jkeuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Flat rubber roof. Can I add a small curb to two sides and slope run-off to the 3rd

I'm a flat roofer out of the northeast I install a product called Duro-Last. It is a single ply thermoplastic membrane. Go online and check it out. I highly recommend to stay away from rubber on complicated roofs or any roofs. Duro-Last is a spec product for taco bell, olive garden, burger king, most restaurant chains because of its quality install techniques on complicated high traffic roofs. It's not expensive, you are close to Michigan where the material is fabricated, I have heard that its discounted significantly.

Look into it what do you have to loose.

Justinzoila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Durolast is a PVC membrane. PVC and other thermoplastic membranes are not really a DIY system. "Rubber" can mean modified bitumen or EPDM depending on who you are asking. For what it is worth modified bitumen is not rubber, it is asphalt. EPDM is real rubber.

For a DIY system I would usually recommend self adhering modified bitumen or EPDM. Self Adhering modified bitumen is more forgiving so that's my go to system when recommending to DIY'ers. Learn more about your ------

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 10-31-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Removed web link as per forum rules.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 252

If you slope it towards the picnic table you have to account for the existing slope, otherwise it will still come off the front and you'll be shooting a lot of water at the corner, which is a tricky spot to waterproof correctly. Also, unless you install some sort of canted edge, you might also notice the new slope from the ground which would look a bit wonky.

I think I would rather install a gutter and let it slope away from the house. Keep it simple.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for the advice. I decided not to mess with the slope. This is my first rubber roof, the temperatures are dropping, and I need to get moving. I am not really going to love having gutters on all three sides, but this roof takes the run-off from one side of my sloped roof so there will be a lot of water coming down here.

I think I will put together a small write-up about my experiences with the roof, because while the manufacturer has a helpful guide, my experience taught me a few things.

I will take some pictures of the final product and post them soon.
jkeuning is offline   Reply With Quote