Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Flat room tear off project almost done.

So for a quick recap.
12 square roof on my own house needed to be ripped off and replaced.

Some of you guys on the forum helped me make up my mind. Special thanks to Aaronb.

I might edit this later to get more detail.

Material cost me $4200, thatís with $200 roof top delivery fee.

Labor to my own people cost me $1100, for 3 people, this does not include tips and food.

10yd Dumpster cost $490, with tip, for 3.5 tons of garbage, yes that is 7000lbs that came off.

I would like to mention that this was the worst 5 days of my life. I am not a roofer by any means, and neither are any of my guys. Having to supervise them, constantly correct them, constantly tell them what to do, and where to move things was a job in itself. There were quite a few things that I needed to do myself, can't trust anyone else to make it right. Busy doesn't even describe it. I personally woke up every day at 6am, and got off the roof at around 9pm. I was in constant fear of rain. Demo day took so long, that I only managed to put down 6 insulation boards and cover them. The rest of the roof deck was exposed. The tarp my roofing supply gave me ended up being the wrong size, so it was about 10ft shorter than my house. Ran out to HD to buy a second one. Thankfully it did not rain. Day 2 I started to run a fever of 101, and I am still running a fever, plus sore throat, clogged ears, dripping nose, coughing, full out sickness. Basically the worst time to be doing physical work in the sun. Had no choice.

All in all, it never rained, I thank the angels watching over us for this. My roof is 99% done. I am waiting for my skylights, waiting for rain before painting the roof silver, and just have to take out the wood wedges from the counter flashing and replace with lead ones, roofing supply delivered them today, finally. I also plan on flashing all the seams for optimal water flow, but that is not really important as the roof is water tight as is.

Why did I do this myself? I have never been impressed by any roofing job that i have personally seen. Most jobs I have seen were done cheaply, quickly, and after these forums, I am not totally convinced they were done right at all. The fact that I was getting estimates over $12k, didn't make me happy either.

On to the pics.

slickgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #2

Roof used to be like this. Notice the old skylight here, when it rained, it rained over my stairs through this.

Delivery is here. Sorry did not get pics of the crane because the guy showed up early, and my friend and I were the only ones on site to unload.

Note the roof caps here.

Insulation

Stuff everywhere. Note the pulley system in the middle to bring stuff up and down. Pictures will get better later. This is from my friends phone, and it sucks.

First cut into the roof. Wow was this a nasty project. I killed two saws, and 20 6-tooth blades. I also gave myself massive blisters on my hands.

What is this. I think this is the roof deck.

Amazing, all wood is tarred up or something. I thought it was rotten, but once I cut into it, it was fine. I guess they used to do this back in the day. At least thatís good.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #3

Second half of roof. Notice better pick of pulley system on left.

Half of what is soon to be a giant pile of trash downstairs.

Day two, Insulation, cant strips, and base sheet done. Curbs for skylights as well.

Day 3. Everything primed up. Walls fixed up, wall caps removed right, cleaned up, ready for torch. Started torching this day, just don't have pics.

Day 4. Torching done, start of counter flashing

Old 05-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #4

Day 5. Finished counter flashing. Flashing seams, corners, sun tunnels, pipes, etc.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #5

30 minutes after climbing off the roof yesterday, it starts to rain. Now tell me that isn't some serious luck.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #6

Did you have someone with experience helping you?Did you do any homework on installation procedures?I see alot of installation errors,anyone else?Not trying to pick your work apart,but you will have problems with that roof the way it is now.Did you at least check all your laps?It looks like there was not near enough heat on the laps.I hope it works out for you,but from my experience,the odds are against you.
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Doing This Way Too Long

Just ran the field up the wall? No wall flashing?
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
Just ran the field up the wall? No wall flashing?
Theres trouble on the horizon
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
Did you have someone with experience helping you?Did you do any homework on installation procedures?I see alot of installation errors,anyone else?Not trying to pick your work apart,but you will have problems with that roof the way it is now.Did you at least check all your laps?It looks like there was not near enough heat on the laps.I hope it works out for you,but from my experience,the odds are against you.

I actually went back and redid a lot of the laps. The rear section of the roof had problems, I think it was too cold that day. I can't beleive you noticed that. Had to redo a lot of that roof.

It already rained heavy. I checked it during and after the rain. I only have one problem right now. I have a little pooling at one area, I don't understand why. I made sure those laps there are sealed though. Checked every one on hands and knees. Everything else stayed dry and water came off the roof no problem. I will flash the rest later, and paint sometime in mid June. I actually came down with bronchitis during this process.

Let me know the problems you see. Maybe I can address them. That is why I joined this forum, because I need help in getting answers. Like I said, I am a carpenter not a roofer. And I had a roofer check it out, he said it was fine. But as stated earlier, roofers around here will say anything and do anything.

I don't understand OldNBroken by No wall flashing. Those walls are covered in so much tar its hard to know where there is and isn't any. Some areas had this tar and mesh type thing, when I was grinding through the brick, I kept jamming up my blade. I left those areas alone.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #10
Doing This Way Too Long

pictures are blurry, can't see the mfr but they will have installation details. If you didn't look at them before you started, find what their parapet wall detail looks like and you will know what I'm talking about. From what I see, same with your curbs and other penetrations. Not saying they are going to leak, just saying they are either not there or not done correctly.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #11

are you talking about can't strips. Those are installed. Remember these pictures are random, and only few. I really didn't stop and take constant pictures. You can see that the curbs are all missing the cant strips in the pics, but they were all installed before the torchdown. Look at the second to last pic, look at the two skylights, you can see the angles. Not sure if this is what you are talking about though.

Its firestone 170 by the way.

I also don't understand why my roof is has so many errors. Did you even notice how it used to be? It only leaked after last winter in one spot. I think the new roof is infinatelly better.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
Doing This Way Too Long

damn double post.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 05-27-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
Doing This Way Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickgt1 View Post
I also don't understand why my roof is has so many errors. Did you even notice how it used to be? It only leaked after last winter in one spot. I think the new roof is infinatelly better.
Details are what make roofers roofers. What does the condition of the old roof have to do with the installation of a new one?
I don't even know why I commented on it in the first place. Here are the installation detail for the product you installed. Hard to explain on a forum.

http://technicaldatabase.fsbp.com/De...bit/BaseTieIn/

Was just wondering if you perused them before you started
Old 05-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #14

Now I understand. Yes I did the multi layer, base to curb, and then second overlayed up the wall, In the middle of the house, front and back. I know I need to do the middle over, I just used whatever peices I had left to at least be able to install the counter flashing. Couldn't do the sides as I needed to be finished that day before rain. I just needed it waterproof and needed to go to the doctor. I will do that once I get better. I am getting IV antibiotics now for bronchitis. I know I need to address that though. I couldn't understand what you meant at first. I should be able to bend / remove counter flashing and address this later.

And once again, the roofer that did my neighbours house, and checked out mine, said everything is fine. As as you can see, only you guys seem to give any solid advice. Yea I read these docs too. Thanks for clearing that up.

Well at least I think that is what you are talking about. lol.

Went on the roof during rain yesterday. All looks fine. I just have one ponding area, same exact spot as my neighbours houses though. There is got to be a way to fix that. Or is this something ok for Mod-Bit? Happens between the laps, and laps are all now 1/8th to 1/4 bleed showing.