Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #1

Share |

Flat roofing decisions!

Hello everyone, I have a flat roof approx 1,000 sq ft and looking for a long term solution warranty wise. I spoke to 2 contractors and 1st said that they have a dupont elvaloy flex product that has 20 yr warranty and would run me about $7,500. 2nd contractor told me he has an asphalt granular product torch down & overlapping seams would run me about $6,400. I am wondering which product would be my better option in terms of durability. I also get a lot of ice damming and would appreciate any input. Thanks

Hudsonviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #2

Flat roofing decisions!

...Forgot to add the torch down product is firestone.

Thx

Old 12-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Low Slope Roofing

Flat roofing decisions!

More specifics would be nice. The dupont is a KEE sheet and is a good product from what I know. Never seen it around our area so no first hand knowledge.

How many plys for the firestone torch system? We use to install a lot of firestone hot mop products and they are very good also.

What area of the country are you in? what does each proposal say? Both tearing off the existing roof? Type of substrate? Edge details?

More details are needed to give you much more input. Both systems are only as good as the people installing them, a quality proposal is a good indication they are detail oriented.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #4

Flat roofing decisions!

I am in upstate NY and both proposals include removing all old roofing. 3 plyboards are free, rest on me. Both are single ply products.

1) The Flex proposal using .060 non reinforced white roof membrane in 6' x 100 rolls,using acceptable substrate, I believe my wood is old tongue and groove. new 1/2 inch recovery board all insulation to be mechanically fastened with screws and plates.

2) The Firestone propoproduct I was told has granules on both sides, would be 1 layer applied with torch down method. With 3 to 4 inch overlapping.

I told firestone contractor my concern was ice damming since I had a 2x2 block of ice last winter on roof gutter connection. I asked about ice shield and he said not necessary.

I also asked firestone contractor about what type of binding for edges he said overlapping and then an adhesive at edges so " double protection".

I did not ask flex contractor yet about bonding edges or how they connect. He has written base tie in at roof edges. As I understand that most leaks occur from edges.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Flat roofing decisions!

Can you post up a picture of the roof/structure.

Ice Damming issues are not a fault of the roof system in terms of the covering but can be related to the roof venting.

You have a great opportunity to fix the envelope and insulation layer while doing the roof so be sure to pick the right contractor for the project that understands how all the systems work together.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #6

Flat roofing decisions!

NY and snow loads with a flat roof.
Hmm.
Looking forward to seeing some pictures of why a flat roof is needed.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #7

Flat roofing decisions!

Property is a 2 family rental. Front house is a colonial with regular roofing, rear section is an extended single level ranch extension approx 45 long by 22, concrete block. I tried to add attachment but says I can't. Probably because I am new.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:05 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Flat roofing decisions!

Link to the picture then if you can.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
Low Slope Roofing

Flat roofing decisions!

A single ply of torch down? No nailed base sheet? Would be an instant pass for me on that one. Open flame and wood are not a good combo. Can it be done? Sure, but do you want a stranger up on your roof with an open flame?
Old 12-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #10

Flat roofing decisions!

Yeah, I thought that there would have been some type of underlayer, I spoke to contractor today and he said no underlayer just bonded to plywood. He tried to sell me on fact that it was a thick material and underlayer was not needed. I went to Firestone site and they were showing underlayers for their product.

I am leaning towards dupont flex product even though more expensive. I am waiting on 1 more estimate. At least the dupont product quote has an 1/2 inch underboard.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
Low Slope Roofing

Flat roofing decisions!

Well technically you can do just the one layer, but there is reasons for nailing a base sheet down first. Structure movement, not having a direct flame to the wood, ect.

On the flex system what kind of "recovery board" are they using? Is the system mechanically attached? I assume it is with the 6' wide rolls.

The edge details should be similar between the two systems. the field sheet should run past the edge and down 2" or so, edge metal installed in water stop for the flex system and mastic for the torch. Then a separate product will be used to strip in the metal. I'm not sure on the flex system if a cover tape can be used, if not it should be a coated metal that a 6" wide strip of field sheet is welded to, on the torch a 9" wide strip is used, preferably with a 6" base sheet before it.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #12

Flat roofing decisions!

Dupont Elvaloy flex is good option for you it provide state-of-the-art performance for thermoplastic single ply roofing systems. elvaloy KEE, unlike liquid plasticizers , does not migrate out of the membrane, keeping it flexible, workable and tough from the day the roof is installed, even in extreme climates. Its remarkable physical and chemical properties make Flex Elvaloy KEE thermoplastic single ply membranes the ideal choice for roofing systems that are tougher than the elements.

michelclarke is offline   Reply With Quote