Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #1

Share |

flat roof trouble

i recently took on a diy project. i have a flat roof/deck that was leaking. i took up the gravel that was on it tore off the decking in the bad spots, reframed and decked. i have a spot where the decking (3/4 plywood) meets a concrete step, i am not sure what to put there to keep stop the leaking. im also looking for suggestions on what to put back down over the roofing. we don't like the gravel it's messy and have had nothing but trouble with it. the roof covers an add on room to the house and doubles as a deck with patio furniture and has a half roof over it that has three support beams, one one each side of the roof and one in the middle. it's almost time for the cold weather and rain so any help is much appreciated
winemaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

flat roof trouble

A picture is worth a thousand words. We can't help with what we can't see.
sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #3

flat roof trouble

let me know if i need to find a better camera, but for now here are a few pictures
Attached Thumbnails
flat roof trouble-deckroof1.jpg   flat roof trouble-deckroof2.jpg   flat roof trouble-deckroof3.jpg   flat roof trouble-deckroof5.jpg   flat roof trouble-deckroof6.jpg  

flat roof trouble-deckroof7.jpg  
Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #4

flat roof trouble

That is what I call a redo. You will need to put insulation board down then glue down rubber. Flash concrete with aluminum then tape rubber into that. To be honest with you, you might be in over your head. Guys that do this all the time get the materials cheaper and often times have the primer and glue. By the time you buy all the material you might be able to get it done professionally.
OhioHomeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

flat roof trouble

The friction from foot traffic, and the furniture moving is not good for a roof. You may want to consider an EPDM roof. It is basically a sheet of rubber that lays over everything. A floating deck over that would be ideal but also pricy. The rubber sheet could be laid up to the concrete and flashed there.
sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #6

flat roof trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten
The friction from foot traffic, and the furniture moving is not good for a roof. You may want to consider an EPDM roof. It is basically a sheet of rubber that lays over everything. A floating deck over that would be ideal but also pricy. The rubber sheet could be laid up to the concrete and flashed there.
Thats what I said.....
OhioHomeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #7

flat roof trouble

Insulation may not be a good recommendation, considering we don't know if the roof is vented or not. You would have to go with high density insulation to avoid weight and settling issues.

That concrete step is difficult. Bring your new membrane up and onto the concrete a few inches, maybe double up the membrane and build a little wooden step to avoid foot traffic wear on the edge. Being an exposed edge there are no guarantees it won't leak though. At your wall be sure to bring yoru flashing up behind the cladding a couple inches.

As for what type of membrane, it depends what you can find in your local area. Usually you can find a two layer peel and stick rolled roofing, sometimes EPDM. Just follow the manufacturers instructions. You can lay down another layer to help with traffic wear in the main deck area. Personally I'd build a deck, or install some type of loose laid carpet or exterior traffic pad.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #8

flat roof trouble

can i use the liquid rubber roofing that comes in buckets, as that is all i have found locally. otherwise any suggestions to the best online source. and i was also wondering what you guys thought would be the best way to manage around the supports for the upper roof over the roof/deck. Should i try to work around them or go under them somehow
Old 10-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #9

flat roof trouble

That liquid rubber stuff is junk. Your local Lowes/HomeDepot/etc don't have rolled roofing?

Do the posts just rest on top or are they fastened somehow? I would jack them up and put some new membrane and metal flashing underneath.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #10

flat roof trouble

the sales associate didn't show it to me, and i didn't notice it, when i went in originally and asked what my options were. i will go look for it specifically. As for the supports to the roof, they just rest on the roof/deck, so question answered thank you. i will jack it up and lay under.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #11

flat roof trouble

well i've finally found what i think is a reasonable price for my epdm but im still having trouble finding the high density insulation board you guys recomended. does anyone know where to get it or atleast an average price range, what i've found so far cost twice as much as the epdm. is there another route to go?