Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2005, 02:06 PM   #1

Share |
Smile

Flat Roof Suggestion

I recently redid my front porch, part of it has a small roof over it. It has been torn down...too much sag, and wanted to change the style a bit, so that was the reason for teardown. The roof is about 9 ft long by 6 ft wide. What I want to do is rebuild the roof, and i don't want to give it much of a pitch if any at all, from the framing side of things.
What I would like to do is use tapered insulation instead for the back side meaning up against the house, and as it tapers down to 1/2" then use the 1/2" insulation board to continue the last couple feet.

I think it would look nicer if the roof framing did not have a noticeable pitch, but rather the roof insulation and rooled roof material or the rubber roof material, which ever I decide to use.

Questions:

What if I do decide to pitch the whole roof framing, what should the pitch be per foot?

I see there is many different tapered insulation board, which is the correct type to put rolled roof, or maybe rubber down?

Reason I am using the insulation between my plywood and my roofing material (rolled or rubber) is if it needs to get removed as some point in time, so it makes the job easier than applying it right to the plywood. Is this approach correct??

Thank you in advance.

George.

gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:39 PM   #2
Commercial Roofing

Flat Roof Suggestion

Good thinking on the separator, George.

Most mebrane manufacturers specify 1/8" minimum slope per foot. With that slope framed in, I doubt you would notice it if you framed it this way, and you would eliminte the need for tapered insulation. Also, Tapered insulation may show on the rise. I hope this helps.

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:22 PM   #3

Flat Roof Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB
Good thinking on the separator, George.

Most mebrane manufacturers specify 1/8" minimum slope per foot. With that slope framed in, I doubt you would notice it if you framed it this way, and you would eliminte the need for tapered insulation. Also, Tapered insulation may show on the rise. I hope this helps.
AaronB yes, on the left and right side you would see the taper. On six feet that would be a framed slope of 3/4" so if I still elected go with the no pitch frame and use the tapper material, would that still be 3/4" at the high end / end of the house as it goes out the six feet.
gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
Commercial Roofing

Flat Roof Suggestion

3/4" tapered is measured at 3/4" rise per foot of run. Six feet of run will give you a total of 4.5" of rise. Am I in line with the question youre asking?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!

Last edited by AaronB; 09-14-2005 at 05:52 PM.
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote