Flat Roof Rafters Noise - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flat roof rafters noise

We have just closed on the house that was build in 1961 and planning on doing a complete remodeling.

There seems to be an issue with a flat roof framing as we hear a very load popping noise in the ceiling most of the time we are in that house (we currently don't live there). Noise seems to be more in the mornings and less during the day and there is absolutely no noise in the overcast and rainy days which tells me that this noise has something to do with sun hitting the roof and some kind of expansion.

Roof seems to have 2 layers and it looks like 2nd layer was not installed properly so I would to do the re-roofing as part of remodeling.

What I wanted to ask if what could be the nature of this noise? What steps do I need to take to trouble shoot this issue?

Also, it sounds like this noise does travel from one side of the house to another. Other words it can pop in the living room and then continue popping all to the to the end of the house. Currently our ceiling is open so I can see 1 x 6. It looks like above them I have a 6 inches of roof sheathing which could be 2 x 6 and then on the roof itself I have 1 x 6 again (no plywood) on which the roofing material is residing.

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

Flat roof rafters noise

Get it on you tube so we can hear it. :-)

Advertisement

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #3

Flat roof rafters noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB View Post
Get it on you tube so we can hear it. :-)
I can try but it won't be that easy... The noise really does sounds like someone if walking on the roof. I had several people listen to this and every one is saying that is sounds like an adult is walking on the roof..
Old 03-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

Flat roof rafters noise

Did anyone ever die on your roof at any point in history?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #5

Flat roof rafters noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronB View Post
Did anyone ever die on your roof at any point in history?
I don't know as I purchased this hour less than a week ago. But why would you ask?
Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Flat roof rafters noise

This thread is a duplicate of another thread in the construction subforum. Please refrain from posting duplicate threads.
Closed.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Termite For This Useful Post:
mtrx (03-10-2010)
Closed Thread