Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #1

Share |

Flat roof question

Any idea what is going on here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/troymckaskle/7891912980
http://www.flickr.com/photos/troymckaskle/7891918714
http://www.flickr.com/photos/troymckaskle/7891923096

bigislandtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #2

Flat roof question

More info:
I'm currently moving from the west coast to Milwaukee, and am in the process of purchasing my first "old house". The house isn't without its issues, one of which is a flat roof over part of living room. The top of roof also serves as the floor of a terrace off of the second-floor master bedroom, meaning it does see some regular, although relatively infrequent foot traffic.

The current coating on the roof looks like it has failed (I don't know what the current coating is) and I don't know what the underlying layer of the roof is either. What I do know is that the summer has been wet, and the winter is approaching and I don't want to leave this issue untreated for the next 6 months or even the next 2 months. I visited the house with my real estate agent during a recent rainstorm in Milwaukee and water from the roof does not appear to be penetrating to the interior of the house - it seems to only be pooling around a clogged drain on the roof. I was there for 2.5 hours while it was raining and didn't see any leaking inside at all. Based on the appearance, it's only a matter of time.

My questions:

1. Is this a DIY project - can I scrub / power wash off the existing coating, let it dry and then apply a multi-part elastomeric coating, or should I be more worried?

2. What is the correct fix for this roof? This is a 100-year old house and I don't want the outside problems coming inside.

3. The existing coating looks to be done fairly recently - any ideas as to why it failed? (Clearly the drain needs to be cleaned out)

4. What would I need to do to beef up the terrace for more regular foot traffic / light terrace furniture?

Thanks in advance, not really sure what I'm getting into...

bigislandtroy is offline   Reply With Quote