Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #1

Share |

a flat roof in New Mexico

Hi everyone this is my first visit to your site and i have been reading all morning. It's very cool to have this available. so here's my question. We have a tar and gravel flat roof which is leaking (of course. we have looked into bituminous,foam and EPDM roofing, and our first question is do we HAVE to take off all the old tar and gravel before putting on the new stuff. My husband is an excellent do it yourselfer and has built from the ground up before, but he has not dealt with flat roofs much,especially now that there are more options than just tar and gravel. we are looking for the source of the leaks, such as flashings,bare spots inthe tar etc, but want to do more than fix each leak as it shows up. thanks in advance susan
susieq1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #2

It can be roofed over if certain conditions are present.

A lot would depend on how significant the previous leaks were and for how long of a time they have infilatrated and breached the water-proofing roofing system.

Is there any weak and deflected decking?

Is there any potential for interior mold growth from the period of time moisture inhibited the system?

Pictures would help more for proper recomendations for the right system for your situation, but some of the options are usually way beyond most inexperienced DIY'ers capabilities. I am not stating that to disuade your talented husband from attempting to do this himself, but I see "Experienced", (and I mean that as a sarcastic joke), roofers who do more harm than good, even though it does not leak immediately, but will be prone to failure prematurely due to a lack of experience in doing the details with the proper quality control, specifically to the manufacturers specifications.

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 02-25-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:50 PM   #3

thanks for your response Ed. these are good questions. we will be pulling up some of the material surrounding a hole we found in the roofing material today. the last roofers did a "quick and dirty" job at connecting two different heights onthe roof. once those things get fixed we will consider the next steps. maybe the tar and gravel will still hold up well after the glaring problems are fixed. thanks, susan
susieq1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:48 PM   #4

Pictures of the details you are concerned about would help out significantly.

Plus, more people would respond with alternatives once they see what you are speaking about.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Pictures of the details you are concerned about would help out significantly.

Plus, more people would respond with alternatives once they see what you are speaking about.

Ed------Ed is exactly right-the devil is is the details !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote