Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #1

Share |

Flat Roof Materials & Application Question

Can you give me an honest objective comparison of Torch Down, BUR and EPDM for flat roof on house in Alaska? What are the pros & cons of each?

question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Flat Roof Materials & Application Question

I don't roof in Alaska but I would think you would want a black roof to absorb the heat and help melt the snow off the roof.

Nothing is wrong with any of the materials that you mentioned. What you have to understand is that all will have various specs which determine the longevitiy of the roofing system. For example comparing a 10 year modifiued bitumen to a 30 year EPDM or comparing a 20 year modified bitumen to a 15 year BUR just isn't fair no matter how you look at it. So the first place you should start is in determining what your budget can afford.

On a personal prefrence, I prefer single ply roof membranes such as EPDM. As a matter of fact I prefer thermoplastics like PVC and TPO because of the heat welded seams, but having said that the EPDM membrane will last forever, and the seams will last 20 years if taped, 30 years if double sealed. Plus single ply will have less seams than modified bitumen or BUR.

That's not to say single ply is better, because if the roofer installing it isn't very familair with it; it just won't last. This may answer some of your questions Low Slope Roofing or Frequently Asked Flat Roofing Questions

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote