Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
one determined mama

Rewards Points: 25

flat roof help?!

Hi,
First time poster here. I have a bit or a problem. I live in a 57 year old home that was recently sprung a leak like Niagara falls. The roof in question is a flat tar and gravel roof over a sun porch. It was supposedly "patched" 3 years ago....before I owned the house (we purchased it from my husband's grandmother). I assume they outright too advantage of her and completely half-a$$ed the repair (especially since another "patch" of their's is leaking too-just not as bad)...now since we just took owner ship of this house (the leak occurred the next day-literally-we awoke to find a soggy sun room with a nice waterfall in the middle) and would like to get it insured, we have been told the roof must be repaired before we can think of getting insurance. Now what I'm trying to figure out is what I should replace it (we're just re-roofing/the drywall damage repair inside will be DIY) with and how much of bite it's going to take out of my very small income (a very rough ball park-it's roughly 200 sq ft) ? I really would love do this myself, but it appears that's out of the question from the other flat roof posts I've seen...also, if it makes a difference, we live in central GA, so things like snow aren't really an issue, but the heat produced is....so, best advice?

mudpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

flat roof help?!

It could cost anwhere between $ 400.00 to $ 2,000.00 depending on what needs to be done.

If there is decking damage, then the old T & G roof must come off.

Is it primed down to the existing wood surface? No one can say without coring it. Taking a core sample.

How many times has it been reroofed over and how many times has it been patched.

If the other company only did a "Patch" job, then 3 years is actually pretty decent. I assume it was leaking prior to them doing the "Patch" job too, so they stopped the leak for 3 years, it would seem.

What kind of siding does the roof tie into?

An on the roof evaluation by a local contractor will at least get you some ideas.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

flat roof help?!

remove the old roofing,install some iso cyanurate insulation,and look into polyglasses,modified bitumen torch down system(polykool ?),it`s white to reflect the heat off of the material,or you may have an IB installer in the area,Their white membranes are also very good at reflecting the heat,and it`s possible to get a "lifetime" residential warranty

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote