DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Flat roof headache

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Ed the Roofer 
#1 ·
I have never known a flat roof that didnt leak at some point. And yet knowing that I bought an older house that has a flat roof. The original house has a normal gabled roof. At some point in history smoone came along and added anew room. they scabed on to the side of the house and added the room with a low pithc (it raly int flat but for our pourposes it is.) roof. It is 12 feet out with a 6 inch drop from tie on to outside edge. fourty feet long. They put regular asphault shingles on the gabled roof and asphault rool roofing on the flat roof. It has leaked and I have got onto the roof and look and looked for a place that it could possibly be leaking and I cannot find anything to save my life. I am not a green horn at roofing but I am not a master roofer. I put on some roof coating over the whole flat roof area and lifted up the shingles where it transitions from gable to flat and coated that area also. Short of rebuilding the whole roof and making all a gabled roof what kind of suggestions does anyone have?

#2 ·
For one,a roof is only as good as the installation.There is nothing wrong at all with flat roofs,if done right.What type of roll roofing?If you could post pics it would give us a better insight on the situation.If it is just a cheap roll roofing ie:90lb mineral surfaced nailed and gummed down,tear it off and re-do its garbage.I suspect though it is the transition,the "rolled roofing"should extend IMO 18-24" up the pitched roof.Are there any protrusions on the low-sloped section?Pics would help if you could post a few,anyways don't be turned off of flat roofs,if installed right they never leak until the lifespan of the product has expired.Have a good day-John:)

#3 ·
Thank you for replying John. I Will get some pics for you. It will just take another day or two to do that because I Have to use the computer at work for this type of thing. T he roll roofing is the same as the shingles. Asphalt. The granules coated on the asphalt type base. The roll roofing is starting to show signs of wear but the shingles look brand new. They were supposedly replaced at the same time (seven years ago) When I take the pics I will look to see how far back the roll roofing goes back underneath the shingles and I will reply when I post the pics.

#5 · (Edited)
Well, if it seems to be made out of the same material as the shingless, it probably is the cheap 90# Roll Roofing, either blind nailed down on the seams that get overlapped and then some mastic applied or the rolls were set in a cold adhesive.

That stuff only lasts about 5 years max anyways, so its done with.

It cracks very easy, especially at slope transition areas, so I would do a hands and knees inspection along the tie-in to the sloped shingle roof.

Ed

#7 ·
What would one suggest I replace it with? It is the type Ed the roofer said. I don't like What is on there now. Regardless of what is on there now I need to replace it with something. I do not want to spend a fortune My money is tight now. I believe I can patch it If I could find where it is leaking until I get the money together.

#8 ·
Pictures would help for the proper recommendation for you.

But, a self adhering membrane or an APP Modified Bitumen torch down roof are both good options, but like with anything, if they are not installed right, the best material will not provide good results.

TRG uses a lot of the self adhering material, so when he gets back on the board, he can explain it from first hand experience.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.