Flat Roof In Florida - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flat roof in Florida

Hi all,

I'm about to close on a commercial building in the Tampa/St Pete area. The building is 3000 sq ft, 50 by 60, has exposed rafters with plank decking, built in the 50s. The bldg inspector said the asphalt gravel roof has no current leaks, and may last a few more years. Roof has decent slope, and only two bathroom vents as the roofs only current protrusions.

Here is my dilemma. I need to insulate and install central HVAC (none of either in building as of now). I'm quoting closed cell foam for under the rafters. I was wondering if now is the time to put on a new roof and insulate from above with rigid board and a white membrane instead of the closed cell under?

I would also like to hear if anyone is having success with any manufacturer of TPO. I've read so many disappointing stories about TPO it worries me, and PVC might be out of my budget (I'm starting today getting quotes).

As always, I realize that the product is only as good as the install, and will only buy from a contractor who is experienced and has track record with whatever product I select.

Bottom line, do I kill two birds with one stone by insulating above the deck and getting the new roof now instead of later?

Thanks to all who reply.

Tom

Advertisement

phelix17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 268

Flat roof in Florida

If its going to need a new roof soon, I'd go ahead and do the insulation on top. That's the way it's typically done; it's a lot easier (and better) to slam those sheets down than doing it from below.

Advertisement

rustyjames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rustyjames For This Useful Post:
phelix17 (07-24-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 03:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Flat roof in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyjames View Post
If its going to need a new roof soon, I'd go ahead and do the insulation on top. That's the way it's typically done; it's a lot easier (and better) to slam those sheets down than doing it from below.
roofingquotes is offline   Reply With Quote