Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Flat Roof for the DIYer?

Hi folks. I'm looking for some advice on our flat roofing project. We live in Eugene Oregon, serious rain all winter, hot and dry in the summer, rarely get's below freezing but it does happen at least once a year for a few days... Our slope is around 1:12 (it's an old house, one side is 1:12 the other is closer to 1/5:12).... We've got about 10 squares, it ties into a standard slope roof (formerly know as the back porch) and the back of the house. The removal and replacement of the rot and OSB (we bought the house with a very badly done roll/torch down conglomeration on it), has just about blown the budget. So we're trying to find a low slope roofing option that we can do ourselves without burning the place down (aka.... no torch for us we know better than that thanks).... We like the idea of EPDM, but can't get it locally and our roof is 22 ft deep so I think we'd end up with seams (widest I've seen is 20ft), which makes us nervious.... We're looking at modified bit, the kind you glue down instead of torch. We'd love to just use roll roofing if we could, but haven't seen any that is idicated for our low slope. The real problem is that there is alot of conflicting information out there, and we've gotten bids and talked to roofers, people bidding and just friends of ours, and all of them have their prefered application, and can't really help us compare it to other applications..... So, PVC? TPO? Mod. Bit.? We would like to have PVC, but that takes a torch doesn't it? Is there such a thing as an easy, inexpensive, high quality solution? And I know, we should hire someone.... believe me I'd rather pay some wonderful roofer to do the work..... but what's the second best option after that? Thanks

anniegirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18

Flat Roof for the DIYer?

i hate to say it but yea unless you have experience i think this is beyond the DIY realm. the roof is crucial-you cant afford mistakes-think about how much MORE you will end up paying if you screw up and there is a leak,etc. rather do it right first time.

but if you still want to, epdm can work. one method is to tape the seams. as long as installation is good it should last

federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Flat Roof for the DIYer?

The thing about DIY roofing is when you mess up, you know it, and it's usually pretty bad. I have repeired alot of DIY mistakes in the past.

if you choose to do it yourself look at the following pages to learn more about your options...

Frequently Asked Flat Roof Questions

Flat Roofing Options

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 18

Flat Roof for the DIYer?

Two safe systems with a relatively low learning curve for a diy project would be Certainteed Flintlastic SA or a cold-process BUR such as GAF Matrix. Although I'm not too fond of them, Henry's and/or Field's cold-process is usually stocked at your local big-box store. Plenty of thorough, accurate instruction for either is easily accessible on the web. Am glad you realize torch-downs of any kind are not for the inexperienced person. I cringe when I see people posting how they plan on doing one.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Shut in w/o Home

Flat Roof for the DIYer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
Two safe systems with a relatively low learning curve for a diy project would be Certainteed Flintlastic SA or a cold-process BUR such as GAF Matrix. Although I'm not too fond of them, Henry's and/or Field's cold-process is usually stocked at your local big-box store. Plenty of thorough, accurate instruction for either is easily accessible on the web. Am glad you realize torch-downs of any kind are not for the inexperienced person. I cringe when I see people posting how they plan on doing one.
Hell, I'm a pro and I won't do one.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 6

Flat Roof for the DIYer?

The SBS self adhereing Mod-bit could be the easiest. I've seen a few done well by DIY'ers. And a few good EPDM jobs by DIY'ers too.

Put down two layers of SBS base/ interply, and then a cap sheet. You could use a paint removal hot-air blower in a pinch, The comercial SBS/ TPO blowers are expensive.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:02 AM   #7

Flat Roof for the DIYer?

You might talk to Jerry's on Hwy 99.

fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epdm, low slope, modified bitumen, pvc, tpo