Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
bugme

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Flat roof blues...tarp help please.

Hello,
I have a flat roof garage that's about 300 years old...well okay 80...it's totally rotten and leaking like a sieve. I planned on getting a new roof this past spring and then couldn't decide if I wanted to think about a pitched roof or just keep the flat one. One thing led to another...and now it's pouring here in Oregon and I need to tarp the roof and limp along until spring. I'm thinking I can do it myself with maybe a friend's help. I'm a short female... but I have a big ladder! So question is can I just buy a heavy duty tarp from Home Depot? Garage is about 11' x 22' so I could get a 12 x 24 roofing tarp. Are there any tricks to doing this? I'm not going to try to get on top of this roof so it will all have to be done from the sidelines. Help.

bugme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18

Bug, you can tarp the roof.......you really have to secure the edges or the wind will flow UNDER it and rip it to shreds. I would use long strips of scrap wood to secure the tarp to the facia board if possible. You can also secure the tarp on the roof itself at the edges. I suggested the facia board because I hate putting even more holes through the roof structure itself. Use strips of wood about 2 - 3 feet long and nail them at the roof edges. Angle them slightly so water doesn't collect behind them. You will almost put the strips side by side......leave some space between them so water can run off your roof and not collect behind the strips. Once one side is secure, you can pull the tarp tight on the other side and repeat the process. Also secure the tarp at the front and back (the peaks, if there are any). That's about all you can do. Play it safe.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
bugme

Thanks so much for the tips...I really appreciate it!

So when I decide on the new roof...what's your take on turning a flat roof into a pitched? Make sense or just too much work and expense? I'm thinkin since this roof is really designed to be a flat roof...even though the roof is built up on the sides and front...like a crown... and the roof sets down in...should probably keep it because it's actually the way the garage was built originally. Whaddya think?
Old 11-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
RFN-4A-LVN

How deep are your pockets?.,I would add pitch myself.,but I am forced to leave the comment neutral because I know nothing about the structure.I would buy a few more tarps if they are on sale.

Some of the reinforced tarps will keep the water out but not for long until the water they are holding will cause them to start breaking down.

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
bugme

Well...exactly the issue...but then you are the Roofmaster! : ) I would not be able to do the work myself. Don't want to put a ton of money into it but figure I already have to spend about $2000 to tear off and replace the flat roof. Just not sure what the pitched would cost...most likely not worth the cost. The flat roof actually ends up with quite a good slope toward the back so never have had any standing water. Fingers crossed!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
RFN-4A-LVN

Something I would consider.If you have a solid foundation by the time you put a pitched roof you could come close to buying an entire garage.

With one of these types you would never really have to bother with a garage issue again.I am not aware of your financial status but some of these garages that are the same as your dimension on the existing run about $3,000.00.

You can save money by doing the demo and debris removal.Sometimes you can find a decent sale an pay a really good price for the installation.

Your call.,I am just throwing some possible relief of any near future problems with a roof system,painting,reinforcement,doors,windows and other things.
Attached Thumbnails
Flat roof blues...tarp help please.-photo1.jpg   Flat roof blues...tarp help please.-photo16.jpg  
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
bugme (11-27-2011)
Old 11-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
Disabled wood vet

The sun will ruin your tarp in no time. But if you do, place a 2x6 on edge down the length of the roof, maybe centered (depends where you want the water to shed) and pull the tarp taut over it to shed the water. You don't want standing water up there ( even though it will sag with snow and ice).
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
bugme (11-27-2011)
Old 11-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 22

The tarp will lose the substance (silicone usually) on it that makes it shed water after a few rains.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
bugme

Thanks again for all the tips. Thought about the manufactured garage angle but I live in an old/historic neighborhood and trying to keep the house and garage original...but I'm tempted believe me. I'm only trying to limp by until about March or April and now that it's almost December...we won't see much sun before then so shouldn't suffer much sun damage! It IS Oregon you know. : ) However losing the waterproof capabilities after a few rains makes me concerned. I'm buying a pretty heavy duty tarp about $45...do you think that will that make a difference? I guess at this point anything is better than just leaving it as is.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
Disabled wood vet

You may make it one season provided the tarp is securely fastened the entire perimeter so wind won't beat it to death too bad. Nail 2 x 4's flat all the way around to secure the tarp firmly.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:16 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugme View Post
Thanks again for all the tips. Thought about the manufactured garage angle but I live in an old/historic neighborhood and trying to keep the house and garage original...but I'm tempted believe me. I'm only trying to limp by until about March or April and now that it's almost December...we won't see much sun before then so shouldn't suffer much sun damage! It IS Oregon you know. : ) However losing the waterproof capabilities after a few rains makes me concerned. I'm buying a pretty heavy duty tarp about $45...do you think that will that make a difference? I guess at this point anything is better than just leaving it as is.
I'm going on 9 months with a tarp on my roof. Not out of choice, but ran out of time and money for the time being (to fully replace roof.) My roof has a rather steep pitch so that helps shed water. It is beginning to degrade but is still serviceable for the time being.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
bugme

Yaaayy...light at the end of the tunnel...I just need about 4 months worth of semi dryness from this tarp...so this is encouraging. However I do worry about the wind beating it to death. I will for sure secure it with wood nailed all around to the top piece of siding. However the hardest part now is finding a ding dang tarp. Seems a lot of places are sold out...tis the season!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 16

If you provide some pictures of the garage everyone here can certainly help give you some better ideas for a long-term solution.
Msradell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #14
bugme

You know...I just tried...twice and it doesn't look like it worked. Will need to try again tomorrow and will attach pics of the garage. Hold it...okay maybe I've figured it out...here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Flat roof blues...tarp help please.-img_0383.jpg   Flat roof blues...tarp help please.-img_0387.jpg   Flat roof blues...tarp help please.-img_0414.jpg  
Old 11-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #15
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 128

I would definitely create some pitch in that roof prior to re-roofing. It will make you life much easier in the future and you can use less exotic roofing materials once completed.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote