Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Flat Roof Advice

Hello,
I am soon going to begin a 14' by 20' workshop build. I am going to be building a soundproof building and have decided that a flat roof would probably work best for soundproofing so I don't have to have venting for shingles. This thing has to be airtight. So, I have done a little reading online about flat roofs but can't decide the best route to go. (I am in Richmond, VA) I would like to have a little more knowledge before I begin. This will be at least a partly DIY project. Don't know if I can tackle a roof. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

ajoantmug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Building and plumbing

Flat Roof Advice

Why not use an "A" frame roof and double insulate the ceiling. Then soundproof the drywall on the ceiling?

USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Flat Roof Advice

Which side of town are you on? Give me a call. I can explain better talking than typing. (Richmond can be a PIA.) You need a shed or 'A' roof.

Last edited by tinner666; 03-11-2008 at 05:34 AM.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Flat Roof Advice

2 things. Just because it's a flat roof doesn't mean you won't need some kind of ventilation. Second, a flat roof with a ceiling attached below will be far from soundproof. You'd be better to keep your ceiling joists independent from the roof framing to prevent sound transmission.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
obsessed with roofing

Flat Roof Advice

Flat roof i the way to go, as it will at the most cost the same money to build as "A" frame. Now with IB roof you won't have to worry about ever replacing or fixing it, as it is a "permanent" roof, and has residential life time warranty.

Read our website - www.CoolFlatRoof.com - there is all about flat roofing you need to know.
BTW, we are NOT in your area, so just contact IB (www.ibroof.com, and they will put you in touch with local installers. All installers are certified, and dedicated to this product - i mean one gotta be, because the investment in equipment alone makes you stick and go long way with IB since it can easily top $15000 for tools. So those guys are not fly-by-night hacks.

Good luck
coolflatroof is offline   Reply With Quote