Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2008, 11:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Flat Roof

Hi, my husband and I are considering buying a major fixer upper. The one thing that really bothers us is the flat roof. So far it doesnt seem to have any leaks. The roof extends beyond the walls about 1 1/2 to 2 feet. We would really like to put a truss roof. Does anyone have any idea how much this might cost and how difficult would it be for doit yourselfers? The house is 1800 sq. ft. which is chopped up with add ons. We want to open it up also but first concern is that ugly flat roof. We are wanting to do a flip and think the flat will turn off potential buyers. Any ideas or input would be appreciated. House is in eastern washington. Thanx, np

nursepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Flat Roof

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a flat roof.There are many great flat roofing systems out there.Like any roof,it's all about the installation.You could buy the best materials and have the crappiest roof.Stick with the flat roof.They will last just as long or longer than a pitched roof.Just my 2-cents

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:25 AM   #3

Flat Roof

Thank you John, I just wonder if it will effect the resale value.
nursepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

Flat Roof

I'm not sure about your area, but in mine flat roofs are not at all common for residential structures thus that probably will/would concern some potential buyers.

If you leave the flat roof set up, than you will want to educate yourself on flat roof structures and the roofing system used to cover it so that you can bring the subject up in your sales pitch, thus giving the potential buyers some re-insurance of it being ok.

If your really wanting to add trusses, take some exterior pics of the home, along with exterior measurements of all walls, than post this subject in the
Construction section of this forum, I'm sure you would get better responses on the subject there.

Good Luck.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Capra aegagrus

Flat Roof

I agree that a pitched roof is instinctively more attractive to potential buyers, but unless that flat roof is truly horrible looking and needs extensive repairs already, I can't imagine that replacing it would be profitable. Between the cost of materials and your labor (which [I]is[I] worth money, even as a DIY), you'd be investing $2-3K or more.

The trick to flipping a house is to make it functional and attractive (inexpensive eye-candy) with minimal time and expense.
Tinstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 520

Flat Roof

It is the condition of the roof more than the type of the roof that should be considered first. The flat roof is an addition or part of the original structure?

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote