Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Flat repair roof of condo building

The roof of our condo building needs repair.
-I've had leaking in my own unit for the last three years...and the association is currently "broke"...but that's a whole 'nother story in itself (litigation slowly in progress).
-The other owners in the building are aparently worshipers of the Haley Bop comet, and currently standing in a circle in a field in Zimbabwe looking up. Only blank stares when I say the words "preventative maintenance".
-It finally took a major flooding of one of the stairwells for the subject to get planted firmly on the agenda.

The building is about 60 years old w/brick exterior.
The roof is about 15 years old: 45mil EPM(full of holes), over 1/2" "cardboard" type insulation(soaked), over original tar and gravel. It holds water in several places, and there is leaking around drains because they are not bolted to the roof.

Solution 1=The roofer said code required beveling it (he suggested ISO foam covered by 60mil EPM) towards the three drains. Slope required is 1/4" per foot, but he may be able to get away with 1/8".
Cost would be around $90K, which we don't have.

Solution 2=Doing the entire thing with 2" flat ISO covered by 60mil EPM.
Cost would be around $45K, which we also don't have.

Solution 3=???
The roofer likes EPM because it "melts the snow", but could the entire roof be coated with something like a polyglycol and a white topcoating?
What are the cheaper alternatives to ISO/EPM?

Stillwerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #2

The vent and drain layout is a bit random as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Flat repair roof of condo building-roof-assessment.jpg  

Old 03-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

how does it melt snow?because its black?
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:30 AM   #4

I guess the black roof heats up quicker, and lessens the snow loading? Not sure about that, I thought snow acted as an insulation.

Just looking for advice on best-and-cheapest materials for the midwest area. Those terms are opposites, but the repairs need to be "sold" to the other owners.

Last edited by Stillwerkin; 03-02-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwerkin View Post
The vent and drain layout is a bit random as well.
I wouldn't go with this jack-leg.Your just putting perfume on a pig.What about the wet insulation?
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
I wouldn't go with this jack-leg.Your just putting perfume on a pig.What about the wet insulation?
Sorry maybe I misread his proposal.What is he going to do for $660.00?
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

If the insulation is soaked and the screws are popping up due to the crushed wet insulation there may be no repairing it. A coating wont do anything but waste money on epdm.
I'm in Michigan also and could have a look at it for you.
BornaRoofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
Sorry maybe I misread his proposal.What is he going to do for $660.00?
For now, we had scheduled to put in an insulated roof hatch in the stairwell so contractors didn't have to climb 30 feet up the side of the building.
NG= no go/not good.

Not sure what the term jack-leg means, but the company is supposed to have a decent local reputation, though they're not always the cheapest, which is sometimes a good sign.
Proper repairs often cost more from digging out cancer, and though most people respect an honest opinion(told in a gentle way) they don't always take the best choice for the long term.

I bought the owner lunch and learned a bit about his business. Decent fellow personally, but didn't have a coherent sales presentation.
That's important to business. When a seviceperson takes two minutes to explain the situation fully and gives the customer the options available with his recomendation, the customer feels like an educated king which solves a lot of misconceptions later (In writing too to CYA).

A good roof and foundation drainage are number one with me. The oldest wooden structure is a temple in Nara, Japan. Built on a raised foundation, clay shingles, and over 1,400 years old.

Thanks for the offer BornaRoofer. It's in Ypsi and we'll probably be working with some local companys. The first thing on the agenda is to scape up/beg/borrow/steal the money.
I guess a tearoff of the top and ISO/EPM is the best and only solution. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by Stillwerkin; 03-02-2009 at 06:37 PM.