Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flat metal roof seam issues..

Hello all, newbie here from WI. I rent a shop with a corrugated matal roof that was improperly installed. They put mesh on all the seams then coated the seams with some black stuff that has dried up and curled. The roof leaks in a few spots. The landlord said he'll work a deal with me if I take care of it myself. So, being it's not my building I'm looking for suggestions on how to deal with this mess so I can stay in the building a few more years with the existing roof. The panels are all in pretty good shape, no rust, just alot of seams that are pretty messed up with this dried, curled crap on them. Any suggestions on what i should put over this. If I scrape off all the loose stuff what should I put over the seams kowing that some of this stuff will still be there??

Thanks to all!!!

backemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 550

Post a few pics so we can see exactly what your dealing with.

AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #3

I new i should have taken some today...I'll get them tomorrow.......if its not raining.

THX!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,674

+1 on pictures and plan on re-coating the whole thing.

While the entire roof may not need it, it is probably easier and will look more seamless that way.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

You need to loosen the panels and run a few beads of sealant between them, and not exposed. Re-screw the panels. This will break the capillary action of co-joined panels.
When calked on top, or just in the joint, movement breaks the seal within days and the caulk acts like a dam/diverter and literally shoots the water back up and into the seams.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #6

Photos attached.....suggestions???
Attached Thumbnails
Flat metal roof seam issues..-dsc01581.jpg   Flat metal roof seam issues..-dsc01582.jpg   Flat metal roof seam issues..-dsc01586.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

We'll know more after you get all that mess cleaned off. Maybe scrape and power wash it off being careful NOT to direct any water into any joints.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,076

Lightly heat with a modified torch and scrape off the loose crap, then power wash with 4000PSI, let dry then foam it with Sprayed Polyurethane Foam, and coat it with silicone The owner currently has a building he cannot rent, with a crap roof. Hopefully you can get him to understand this.

There is no cheap and dirty fix for something that has been screwed up like this. Whoever did it should be shot, or at least coated with roof cement and wrapped with fabric.

Last edited by jagans; 04-29-2013 at 08:42 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Lightly heat with a modified torch and scrape off the loose crap, then power wash with 4000PSI, let dry then foam it with Sprayed Polyurethane Foam, and coat it with silicone The owner currently has a building he cannot rent, with a crap roof. Hopefully you can get him to understand this.

There is no cheap and dirty fix for something that has been screwed up like this. Whoever did it should be shot, or at least coated with roof cement and wrapped with fabric.
Considering it's about the same climate as here, I doubt SPF is a good option in his region. Could look into a full elastomeric or acrylic coating but by the time that was done you probably could put a proper roof on it.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 746

Flute fill and 1/2 HD ISO and EPDM, If the structure is proper. Or, remove all of the panels, go to Menards/HD/Lowes order the length you need and re do the whole thing, only this time put the sealant between the laps. Looks a bit low slope to me.

If there is a solid structure under it I would go flute fill and 1/2 HD ISO and EPDM route.

I would not advise using spray foam. Spray foam does not still well to metal if there is not a solid substrate under the metal panels, after some times the two "roofs" will separate and will leave even a bigger mess. Plus it simply is not a good product, that or I have never been on one that looked/preformed well at all.

It's not likely a coating would stick well in the seam areas either with the mess that was left there. Coating it would have been an option before but now it would be a lot more prep work.

Last edited by 1985gt; 04-30-2013 at 01:00 PM.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,076

This is what is known as a crap lap through fastened metal roof. The exposed fasteners egg-hole after about 8 years and they leak. The laps are obviously already leaking. This roof appears to be very low slope. I still think foam would be a good approach, and I'm not sure why it would not be a good choice in an area that gets pretty cold in the winter, but we all have our reasons I guess. Foam would arrest the panel to panel thermal movement, and result in a seamless application.

The other option would be to put on a good metal roof like a Butler MR-24, but then you would need wind bracing, as your diaphragm would be gone. Re-Cover would also be an option with an MR-24 if it will take the weight, but most of these types of buildings are right at the tipping point engineering wise.

Coating will not work in my opinion.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 81

It sounds like you have a real life slum lord on your hands.
one cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #13

Thanks to all that responded..Except "One Cut" ..You know not of what you speak.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by backemin View Post
Thanks to all that responded..Except "One Cut" ..You know not of what you speak.

I know what you mean, My situation is similar to yours. Exact same type of bldg but I have a very good give-and-take relationship with the owner. Mine, unlike yours, has been and is repaired properly when the need arises.

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote