Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Flat deck and skylights

I just had my roof done by one of my ares best and most trusted roofers.Here's the problem,before the roof was done there was at least 6" from the bottom of the skylight to the flat roof,now after him roofing the flat deck around the skylights with a 60 mil rubber membrane roof there is about 2" from the bottom of the skylights to the deck.This is in a valley that catches both side of a 4/12 roof about 18' long 4' wide.Lots of water flows down into this area with the skylights.
I was wondering if these are too low to the deck by code,or is there a code for this?It just looks like water could get under these pretty easy.
Any thoughts on this?Of course this guy is hard to get a hold of now

MrBonjovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Residential Roofer

Flat deck and skylights

Sounds like as if he replaced the skylight?, with a lower profile style.
That doe's not mean they will not work.

Posting a picture of the skylight for us to view would be helpful.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Flat deck and skylights

Like sly says a pic will help. I know many of the single ply manufacturers I work with want a minimum of 8" clearance. While this is all fine and dandy on a commercial roof, we usually opt for 6" curbs when ever possible. Depending on the height of the flange, this usually will leave approximately 4" of exposure from the bottom of the skylight to the top of the roof.

I guess I have a few questions. Did the roofer tear off the old roof? Did the roofer add insulation? Did the roofer change the curbs in any way? Did the roofer install nw skylights, or re-use the old skylights?

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Flat deck and skylights

Another question, if he is the best and most trusted roofer in your area why are you questioning his work?

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

Flat deck and skylights

All curbs are supposed to be a minimum 12" from the deck but 8" is generally accepted. There isn't a manual written that will specify or accept anything less.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #6

Flat deck and skylights

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
All curbs are supposed to be a minimum 12" from the deck but 8" is generally accepted. There isn't a manual written that will specify or accept anything less.
This is why I am worried There is now 2"-3" from the flat roof deck to the bottom of the skylight.Yes he added insulation and built up the middle area to get water to flow but did not build up the curb.I paid top dollar 20k+ to one of the best around.The guy that owns the company bid the job and made the sale but was never on site.He is the roofer that started the business so he knows roofing and he's not just a salesman.
The curbs were not built up,but new insulation was added so that increased the roof height,and yes his crew did the tear off for the job.
The workmanship and the installation is clean and straight with a lot of nice work but this is something they overlooked IMO.I tried to upload photos as a jpeg but they wouldn't upload for some reason.I have lots of before and afters. These are the same old skylights. The only leaks we had in the roof was this area with the skylights.

Last edited by MrBonjovi; 08-20-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling
MrBonjovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
Doing This Way Too Long

Flat deck and skylights

It's not difficult to extend the curbs. If he is decent then just get ahold of him and tell him what an excellent job they did and you are happy with everything but you would like the curbs properly raised. I know I would have no objection with a customer asking me this. (of course they wouldn't have to because it's always considered when I bid a job.)

I always make it clear that I do not do interior finish work involved. I am a roofer, not a drywaller.

Hope it goes well.

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote