Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #1

Share |

flashing, vents

On the pitched roof that I am replacing there is not a lot or space for a ridge vent, because i have a rather large chimney near the center of the ridge. I have about 25 feet or ridge; 20 feet to one side of the chimney and around 5 feet to the other side. The house is a brick ranch and the roof is not very steep, which I suppose might make some difference for ventilation. The current roof is two layers of old 3 tab shingles; the last layer was put on in 1974. I figure that if the roof has lasted that long there is pretty good ventilation. there are a pretty good number of vent boxes under the eves (larger than today's boxes) and at the top of the house there are three box vents (boxes with metal caps over them and a screen inside my attic; no fans inside). There is no ridge vent right now. One OC certified roofer who gave me an estimate told me to close up the boxes and put in a motorized vent. Instead I have decided to just leave the boxes since the house seems to have done OK up to now, and and to put in a ridge vent. I decided there must be a pretty good flow of air without the motorized vents. Is there any problem with leaving the old boxes and putting in the ridge vent?

2. My cost on this new roof --35 squares on a roof that is not too steep but that has several valleys, using an OC Duration shingle is now approaching $8,000 and will no doubt go over that by the time I am finished. So I am trying to find ways to economize. I decided that I did not want to do it in the felts, and left them at 30 pounds. BUt my roofer has suggested a compromise on the copper that I wanted for chimney flashing. He says that we can use galvanized where it cannot be seen and copper where it can be seen. Maybe this will save me only $150, but I will take it! Is there any problem with this?

The boots and vent pipes ( I think that is how you talk about these things) also might be another place to save. Originally I wanted copper but it doesn't seem worth it. The house right now has lead, but I think that these days people use plastic. Is there any qualitative difference in chooseing plastic or lead? Plastic costs a fraction of the price of the lead, but in real dollars and cents the cost is really very little. Aren't rubber boots used these days; but over time won't they harden and crack?
Alto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

flashing, vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alto View Post
On the pitched roof that I am replacing there is not a lot or space for a ridge vent, because i have a rather large chimney near the center of the ridge. I have about 25 feet or ridge; 20 feet to one side of the chimney and around 5 feet to the other side. The house is a brick ranch and the roof is not very steep, which I suppose might make some difference for ventilation. The current roof is two layers of old 3 tab shingles; the last layer was put on in 1974. I figure that if the roof has lasted that long there is pretty good ventilation. there are a pretty good number of vent boxes under the eves (larger than today's boxes) and at the top of the house there are three box vents (boxes with metal caps over them and a screen inside my attic; no fans inside). There is no ridge vent right now. One OC certified roofer who gave me an estimate told me to close up the boxes and put in a motorized vent. Instead I have decided to just leave the boxes since the house seems to have done OK up to now, and and to put in a ridge vent. I decided there must be a pretty good flow of air without the motorized vents. Is there any problem with leaving the old boxes and putting in the ridge vent?

2. My cost on this new roof --35 squares on a roof that is not too steep but that has several valleys, using an OC Duration shingle is now approaching $8,000 and will no doubt go over that by the time I am finished. So I am trying to find ways to economize. I decided that I did not want to do it in the felts, and left them at 30 pounds. BUt my roofer has suggested a compromise on the copper that I wanted for chimney flashing. He says that we can use galvanized where it cannot be seen and copper where it can be seen. Maybe this will save me only $150, but I will take it! Is there any problem with this?

The boots and vent pipes ( I think that is how you talk about these things) also might be another place to save. Originally I wanted copper but it doesn't seem worth it. The house right now has lead, but I think that these days people use plastic. Is there any qualitative difference in chooseing plastic or lead? Plastic costs a fraction of the price of the lead, but in real dollars and cents the cost is really very little. Aren't rubber boots used these days; but over time won't they harden and crack?
Is there any problem with leaving the old boxes and putting in the ridge vent?

Yes - do one or the other. Air will short circuit from the box vents to the ridge rendering your soffit venting less effective. I would not consider a powered fan. They can de-pressurize the attic and pull conditioned from the living space. If what you have works, stay with it.

He says that we can use galvanized where it cannot be seen and copper where it can be seen. Maybe this will save me only $150, but I will take it! Is there any problem with this?

You'll spend over $150 getting the galvanized painted and maintaining it. Pay the $150 and use copper. Also, if the two are touching anywhere, it's likely galvanic reaction will cause a problem in the future.

The house right now has lead, but I think that these days people use plastic. Is there any qualitative difference in chooseing plastic or lead? Plastic costs a fraction of the price of the lead, but in real dollars and cents the cost is really very little. Aren't rubber boots used these days; but over time won't they harden and crack?

Go with lead or copper. Replacing plastic boots is my #1 service call (probably over 100 per year) and it costs a whole lot more to replace one later than to have the better material installed during the roofing process.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote