Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #1

Share |

Flashing underneath old roofing

I am having a gutter problem. I just purchased a fixer home and on one side of the house the previous owners didn't overlap the roofing far enough for the gutters. So the water is running down the side of the house.

I have purchased some flashing that angles down and has a tear drop at the end of it to curb wicking. My problem is fastening it since the roof is already in place.

I can slide the new flashing underneath the old roofing and tar paper. I don't want to put nails or screws down through the old roofing and tar paper as I'm afraid that will create holes that water can leak through. I cannot peel up the shingles without breaking them. Is my only options to glue the flashing down?

Is that the correct way of doing it?

blloyd29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #2

How old is the roof? As long as it's not really old you can lift the first row and nail the new flashing right through the starter course. Bring a flat bar to gently break the seal and pull and nails in the way
Reseal with roof cement.

PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #3

It is a double layer roof. The "old" roof is about 20 years old and the "new" roof 3 years old. The tar paper is very fragile and I'm afraid of it tearing along with the 2 roof layers. Without being able to see each individual nail, I am worried that the shingles will tear. Am I being too cautious?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #4

Two layers makes it more of a pain but still possible. Be gentle and you'll be okay. The paper under there is worthless at this point anyway.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #5

So would I start with the second layer and pry it up so that I can see the nails for the layer in question and be able to pull them out without ripping the roof?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #6

It might be easier to use smaller pieces of drip edge. Slide it up, you only need to pull nails if it doesn't slide up far enough.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #7

I've already cut one of the pieces of drip edge and it will almost slide all the way up which brings me to the problem of nailing the drip edge. I will slowly lift up the edges and see if I can get them high enough to get a nail in there.

I think I will have to remove at least the first (lowest) rows nails to be able to bend the roofing up high enough to get a hammer or nail gun in there without breaking the shingles.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #8

I should clarify. I can slide the drip edge all the way up to the nails. It is an almost perfect fit. However, since that is where the nails are driven into the first row of shingles, there's no room for the shingles to bend upwards to clear enough room for the hammer.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #9

You only need to lift the top layer of shingles to nail through, you can even nail them right through the starter row if you want. Just use the bar to break the seal on the shingles and they should lift enough to nail easily.you don't need a ton of nails either. One every 2' or so is plenty.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #10

Is'nt this the same roof you had another post about and the roof was 18 years old?
The drip edge should not come close to the nail line on the first course of shingles.Maybe you have it under the starter strip and they nailed it lo?.Or may be under water and ice shield?

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote