Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #1

Share |

flashing and stucco

The flashing under my stucco is rusted and has many holes. There is water leaking through a majority of them on all four sides of the house.
I would like to know how this may be addressed.
The current flashing is stepped and under both the stucco and the first layer of shingles. If it were to be re flashed would the stucco have to be removed and then reapplied after the flashing? This makes sense but the is nothing behind the stucco except insulation and 2X4s.

How should this be repaired?
Info would be appreciated before a contractor/rofer takes me or a ride and doesn't do the right thing.
Thanks

sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

flashing and stucco

stucco needs to be removed. New flashing applied. ( I would use lead flashing in areas of high water) Then new stucco to patch.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Chicago, IL

flashing and stucco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp View Post
The flashing under my stucco is rusted and has many holes. There is water leaking through a majority of them on all four sides of the house... the current flashing is stepped and under both the stucco and the first layer of shingles. If it were to be re flashed would the stucco have to be removed and then reapplied after the flashing? This makes sense but the is nothing behind the stucco except insulation and 2X4s.
Sharp,

1) Are we discussing flashing at multiple levels on the property, for example near the roof, and also at the bottom of the stucco above the ground (if the latter, water dripping from the weep screeds "on all four sides of the house" could be normal).

2) What type of "stucco" are we discussing? Rusting flashing suggests that older property with conventional hard coat stucco, however the last sentence could also be describing EIFS, especially as there is no mention of metal lath.

Two things that would be helpful:

1) Fill out the location portion of your profile so that we know where (in what climate) the property is located.

2) Take pictures of these areas, and post links here so we can see the problem.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 12-11-2009 at 06:02 AM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #4

flashing and stucco

Thanks. Will post photos tomorrow.
Located Long Island, NY
Old 12-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #5

flashing and stucco

Can I remove the first level of shingles to pry the nails out. Then remove old flashing and slide new flashing under the stucco. The entire house is currently gutted. The is nothing behind the flashing. I can also access the flashing from inside the house. I am really trying to avoid having to redo the stucco.
Will post photos this evening.
Thanks.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
Pro Slate Roofer

flashing and stucco

It's possible. But you will need to bust the corners anyway. You can't wrap them properly otherwise.
Lots of finesse involved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:32 AM   #7

flashing and stucco

Having a hard time with this. had a stucco pro come by. Says he can't do it because there is no plywood behind the existing stucco. If he does a 4 inch cut to replace the flashing he won't be able to reapply the new stucco to finish.
Any ideas??
Old 12-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #8
Chicago, IL

flashing and stucco

Photos would be very helpful.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs
Old 12-14-2009, 07:06 AM   #9

flashing and stucco

Photos are attached. They show the area from the outside, inside and why the stucco replacement may be difficult without anything behind to adhere to.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
flashing and stucco-img_4997.jpg   flashing and stucco-img_4996.jpg   flashing and stucco-img_4983.jpg   flashing and stucco-img_4982.jpg   flashing and stucco-img_4999.jpg  

Old 12-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
Pro Slate Roofer

flashing and stucco

The roofing is easy. Have you asked Carl Brown about how to handle the Stucco? He seems to be the authority. Just google him. Or 'your leaking house'.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #11
Chicago, IL

flashing and stucco

That method is new to me, I've not see that done here in Chicago - for one thing there is no designed drainage plane behind the stucco. Also, at the backside that appears to be a material closer to "concrete" than to standard stucco. I'll be interested to see if any Stucco contractors familiar with this method post suggestions.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 12-14-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
Chicago, IL

flashing and stucco

OK, talked to the stucco contractor I usually recommed here in Chicago. He says that the trade term for that style of wire reinforcement is "fence wire", and that based on a verbal description what we are looking at could be the back of a formed pour - the forms would have been placed between the studs and at the exterior, and then removed after the pour. If so, the base coat could be 1" thick, or even thicker.

He will have a chance to look at he pictures this evening, I'll let you know what he says.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 12-14-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #13

flashing and stucco

Any stucco thoughts?

No way to slide 6" flashing from the inside? I can't see why it cant be done.
I have access from there. I am thinking of sliding the new flashing under the old and putting under the roof shingles.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #14

flashing and stucco

Any ideas on this fix? Having trouble finding a repair that doesn't include ripping all stucco off 2nd floor, putting up exterior sheathing and then restuccoing. There must be an easier way-
Thanks
Old 12-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
old timer

flashing and stucco

a. Cut the nails from the inside with a sawzall and pull the flashing from the exterior. Not easy.

b. Cut the stucco off the roof a few inches, re flash, install wood trim in place of stucco.

dmc@RCR is offline   Reply With Quote