Flashing Replacement Question - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 294

Flashing replacement question

Hello, got a roof inspection and home inspection on home we bought. Has some minor issues. See PDF link to excerpts of reports.

I would like to know what the replacement flashing would look like so that I can:
  • inspect repairs done correctly by a roofer myself, whether I order a reinspection of roof or not
  • in case I can and wish to repair myself as DIY job, so as to know what flashing to get and replace with

PDF mentions issues from one report, and here's excerpt from another, with referred images in same PDF:

Quote:
The vent flashing is not properly integrated into the roofing system, the water shedding ability of this area cannot be guaranteed. (See Picture 4) (See Picture 5) (See Picture 6) (See Picture 9)

RECOMMENDATION:
Properly integrate the vent flashing into the roof system, where needed to ensure a water impermeable condition.

The valley flashing is not properly integrated into the roofing system, the water shedding ability of this area cannot be guaranteed. (See Picture 3) (See Picture 7)

RECOMMENDATION:
Properly integrate the valley flashing into the roof system, where needed to ensure a water impermeable condition.
http://dlshare.s3.amazonaws.com/temp/roofIssues.pdf

thanks in advance for feedback.

Advertisement

daluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 680

All simple fixes for a roofer. If you have never done this job before I'd suggest hiring a roofer. If not done right yourr back to square one and the roofs going to leak.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
All simple fixes for a roofer. If you have never done this job before I'd suggest hiring a roofer. If not done right yourr back to square one and the roofs going to leak.
Yea I figure so, still I'd like to know what the finished job might look like before I have someone do the job.

I see different vent flashing types available, what type best replaces the current ones?

And for valley flashing, how should it look like based on the given roof design? The home inspector mentioned something about cricket flashing while I was there with him, and how the current valley flashing is installed the wrong way or something like that.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #4

Not sure how your going to inspect it if you do not even know what to look for.
Not sure how over the net anyones going to be able to go over every aspect of roofing.
A cricket would be what goes on the high side of a chimmney to devert water away from it.
Go on a shingle manufactures web site and they may have some pictures or vidios for you to look at.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Not sure how your going to inspect it if you do not even know what to look for.
Not sure how over the net anyones going to be able to go over every aspect of roofing.
A cricket would be what goes on the high side of a chimmney to devert water away from it.
Go on a shingle manufactures web site and they may have some pictures or vidios for you to look at.
That's why I made this post, to learn what to look for, even if I'm going to have someone fix and inspect the roof, it's always good to know when and how its properly fixed, even if you can't quite do it yourself.

Can't say exactly for the valley flashing, but I assume the vent flashing photos indicate the problem? Or no? And thus there should hopefully be similar photos of "proper" versions of the vent flashing.

I'm inexperienced, but from looking at photos of the vent flashings in question, it looks like there's some rust on some of the flashings in question, and it looks like maybe not properly sealed (around where the pipe meets flat sheet metal), and one would think could try caulk or tape around where the two pieces meet, or find a replacement vent flashing that's a one piece pipe + flashing molded design (if such exist). Or is my thinking here all incorrect?

As for vent flashing with the sheet metal sticking out, not fully covered by shingles (though the part sticking out is the lower half that's sloping downwards, not the top half where water can intrude), I've seen other roofs around the neighborhood like that, so assume that's ok, or it means quite a few people have incorrectly installed vent flashings too.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Daluu, Keeping in mind this is a DIY forum we try very hard not to say this often but here goes...Don't even try to fix this one.
If I inspected that prior to your purchase I would have told you either get a HUGE allowance on the purchase price or run like hell. (sorry)

They may be minor issues now but based on those pictures the "unconventional roofdecks", the lack of professional workmanship and the use of incorrect materials makes that roof a total abortion.

I'm going to assume you are in a milder climate because if you weren't then that roof would already be a total disaster. If you are it's just a matter of time before those minor issues become major.

Sorry but I'd get a very experienced roofer out there to give you options for a proper low-slope roofing system. There is too much in those pictures to even begin to tell you what and how to fix.

Like everything else, the pipe flashings (sort of installed correctly) are the wrong type. Those are meant to be used in conjunction with a storm collar and caulk on the pipe itself. That is the only proper way to seal them. Caulk alone is only going to last a very short time.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 01-19-2012 at 09:10 AM.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by daluu View Post
Can't say exactly for the valley flashing, but I assume the vent flashing photos indicate the problem? Or no? And thus there should hopefully be similar photos of "proper" versions of the vent flashing.

I'm inexperienced, but from looking at photos of the vent flashings in question, it looks like there's some rust on some of the flashings in question, and it looks like maybe not properly sealed (around where the pipe meets flat sheet metal), and one would think could try caulk or tape around where the two pieces meet, or find a replacement vent flashing that's a one piece pipe + flashing molded design (if such exist). Or is my thinking here all incorrect?
Everything about those pipe flashings is wrong, not to mention the pipes themselves exit in a valley. They don't need caulk where the metal meets the pipe, they need to have a proper pipe flashing installed (which have a rubber gasket that fits tightly around the pipe and negates the need for biannual caulking). The shingles should be cut tight to the base of the flashing, not squared off. The one not fully covered by shingles is a common mistake, as you guessed, but nonetheless the potential for water to migrate where the arrow is pointing is much higher when roofed that way.

That's the least of worries though. Removing that makeshift overhang would be first on my list, but repairing the roof planes where the home was added on to, or getting a membrane on there that's meant for low (/odd) shaped roofs is going to be the expensive part.

DIY is out of the question IMHO, and you might even have a hard time finding a good roofer who is willing to do a repair versus replacement.
jmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Doing This Way Too Long

Hmm, guess we were typing at the same time JMiller
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
jmiller (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
I'm going to assume you are in a milder climate because if you weren't then that roof would already be a total disaster.
CA. I had to look at his past posts (hint hint, put location in profile), because I would've sworn I looked at that house a couple months ago.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
Doing This Way Too Long

Lol, could you run fast enough?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #11

Yeah, the inspectors always leave it up to us to break the bad news. It's a shame, those shingles only look a couple years old if that. Sellers must have went with low bid before putting on market to avoid dealing with the structural issues themselves. I wonder what it looked like before replacement
Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #12

Thanks for the feedback. Wish I posted this earlier.

The work authorization bid that came with roof inspection was slightly over $3000 for all the fixes to roof (excluding any possible needed fixes to gutters and overhang). It didn't say a new roof was needed. Is that considered majorly "expensive" and/or perhaps HomeGuard and its subcontractors are also not a good competent roofer to assess and repair the roof? I wasn't planning on using them, but figured they are a good starting reference for cost. My agent says you can find someone to fix it for more around $1000 as HomeGuard inflates their prices, and the $3k range is closer to getting a new roof, but can't always trust your agent either.

What's a good roof repair likely to cost based on your observations, and cost of replacement of said roof if needed?

FYI, according to seller data, the roof is 9 years old.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller View Post
That's the least of worries though. Removing that makeshift overhang would be first on my list, but repairing the roof planes where the home was added on to, or getting a membrane on there that's meant for low (/odd) shaped roofs is going to be the expensive part.
The seller took off the makeshift overhang, while doing other repairs to home, but that's it for roof repairs.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #14

There's so many flaws that would have been common since things to do right the first time, I'd guess the old homeowner and some buddys installed it to try and save money.
No roofer I've ever meet would of done that kind of work, if they did it would be the last roof they did for me.
A real roof jack would look something like this.
http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=16451
The ones on your roof were for a metal vent for something like a gass water heater, tankless water heater, gas fire place. It would also have had a metal rain collar around the pipe to devert water from the stack.
Completly wrong ones used, Also one never even got replace.
It's standard procedure when redoing a roof to change all the roof jacks when a pro is doing it.
A first time DIY is not going to know your to lay the shingles around a jack and it shows.

Last edited by joecaption; 01-19-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #15

Your realtor is full of it. How would they know when they have a)not been up there b)not owned a roofing company. I wouldn't know where to start for 1k, and our overhead is nowhere near as high as California. Paying somebody who says they can fix it for that will be a waste of money.

I guess I was way off on the age, and it's getting to the point where expensive repairs aren't a good investment. Maybe you could post some pics of your own, as they're pretty hard to view in .pdf form, and we could give a better idea of what needs to be done. Accurate price estimates might be difficult unless there is a roofer from your area on here. As an example, workman's comp for a roofer can be more than the roofers actual wage.

Advertisement