Flashing Needed For Existing 4" X 4" Posted Supporting A Deck, On Top Of A Free - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

flashing needed for existing 4" x 4" posted supporting a deck, on top of a free

A deck was built on top of an existing,sloping composition shingle roof. At the lower edge of the roof, 4" x 4" posts, supporting the deck, actually penetrate through the roof (not sure what happens below). They leak. About 10 years ago a great roofer added length of rubber type roofing material the whole length of the roof where the posts are, which made it leak free for many years. I am wondering, instead of repeating that, is there a way to flash around each post (of course, since it's existing, I can't slide anything over the top, I have to wrap or fit something around it). FYI, I've put a strip of flashing on an angle up the roof from the posts, so it's catching most of the water and directing it to one end (which is where it's now leaking).

Thanks!

Advertisement

HughBowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

flashing needed for existing 4" x 4" posted supporting a deck, on top of a free

do you have any photos that you could post?

Advertisement

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote