Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Flashing Intersection of two Rake Walls

Greetings,

I'll try to explain the scenario. I have two gable roofs, running the same direction, that are offset by about 4 feet. The roof in the front is the house, and the roof in the back is the garage. Both are about the same height, such that the back slope of the house roof crosses the front slope of the garage roof.

The house roof has a 1' overhang. So where the two roofs cross, the 1' is a dead valley. The rear overhang from the house runs right into the front slope of the garage roof.

How would you flash this? Does it need some kind of other slope in there (like a cricket on a chimney)? I built the garage myself, and am trying to finish roofing it but am stuck on this last detail.

I'm in MN, so snow will definitely reside there. I'd appreciate any suggestions!

project_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Got a picture or sketch?

I'm not a professional., But I did stay at Holiday Inn Express last night.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #3

Sure! Here is a pretty basic sketch... will try to get a picture or two when I get home from work today.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rooflines.pdf (70.3 KB, 134 views)
Old 10-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,002

Post a picture/s.

rossfingal
rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #5

OK, so it was dark when I got home from work, but I took a few pictures (5 attached). The house roof (you can tell which is the house by the old 1x6 sheathing), does not have the 12" rake overhang installed yet. It will be framed like a ladder and fastened to the side of the house, and plenty of shingles removed to tie in the old/new properly. You can see the existing fascia on the right side under the tarp, which hasn't been removed yet for the new framing.

The reason behind this: The new garage has two rake ends, which both have a 12" overhang, and the other side of our house has an overhang, as well as our entryway, so it's only logical to add one to this last wall (otherwise, it would be the only wall on the house without a rake overhang and just a flush wall with fascia).

I have left the shingles out of this area in anticipation of framing the overhang and finishing it, but I guess I've left that for last as I don't know if it's a terrible idea to have the new overhang die into the front pitch of the garage. Also, I will slip the last of the ice and water along the sidewall and step flashings as well when I finish this part, as right now they are missing. Also, I have to finish up putting the sheathing on the truss sidewall as well, and tie that roof into the new with step flashings, etc. I just don't want to remove the shingles in that area (over the house) until I have a full day of nice weather. The old garage roof planed with this house roof so I circular sawed the old away when it was demolished, hence the ragged edge.

Thoughts? I'd really like to get this done before the snow flies!

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Flashing Intersection of two Rake Walls-img_1554.jpg   Flashing Intersection of two Rake Walls-img_1555.jpg   Flashing Intersection of two Rake Walls-img_1552.jpg   Flashing Intersection of two Rake Walls-img_1551.jpg   Flashing Intersection of two Rake Walls-photo-3.jpg  

Last edited by project_guy; 10-24-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #6

An in-process shot. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed roofing this, despite the back and foot pain.

I also learned a few things in the process. There were some issues with the 30# felt laying down properly. It was like the center of the roll would be very taught, but the edges would curl slightly, as though they were a bit longer than the center. I managed to get things to lay flat, but it took a bit of fussing with.

I put down two courses of I&W, lapping the first layer about 4 inches over the subfascia. Then I put on my eave metal, then another 9" strip of I&W covering that. Then I put down 30# felt, starting at the eave, all the way up the roof.

Shingles are Timberline 30 year, weathered wood. I am installing Snow Country ridge vents. I&W was mostly GAF StormGuard, with a roll of GRACE that I had left over. It was amazing to see the difference in the two. The GAF was really thick and not sticky, but easier to place and remove the thing plastic film backing. The Grace paper was harder to remove, but it is super sticky and much thinner feeling. I placed I&W up the sidewalls under the step flashings, and under and around the kickout flashings. I hope this will last a long time without issue. We've already had a pretty hard rain and I didn't see any leaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Flashing Intersection of two Rake Walls-photo-2.jpg  
Old 10-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,192

You need to go backwards before you can go forward.

Why no drip edge on the rake?

You need sheathing on that truss in pic. 2

I see you have step flashing up one side but not the other. What’s up with that?

Last edited by kwikfishron; 10-25-2011 at 04:38 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote