Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

flashing: how to tell the good stuff?

Hi folks. Discovered that the bathroom fan is simply a piece of flex up into the attic. So I need to put a vent up through the roof. In days past, I'd just go to HomeDepot and get the flashing and vent from them, but lately I've come to see the wisdom of 'Use the good stuff' for things that matter. So, my question...how do I tell what the good stuff is for flashing and similar? And where would I get it? Thanks in advance,

jeauxbleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Do you need to go thru the roof ?
Is the vent near a side wall ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Get the steel one with the brand name Broan. Menards usually has them. Stay away from the plastic one if you can help it.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I'm with Scuba on this one, Why mess around with the integrity of your roof system(shingles, tarpaper) if you don't have to. Go through the wall if you can.
bronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #5

It's about the middle of the house, and it's a hipped roof, so the only way to go out the walls would be to go through the soffits, which doesn't seem like a good idea...?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Get the steel one with the brand name Broan. Menards usually has them. Stay away from the plastic one if you can help it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeauxbleaux View Post
It's about the middle of the house, and it's a hipped roof, so the only way to go out the walls would be to go through the soffits, which doesn't seem like a good idea...?

That is the proper advice that MJW already supplied you with.

Also, you are correct about NOT wanting to ventilate the moisture out of the soffits, which should have Intake Ventilation in them, thereby re-introducing that recently expelled moisture back into the attic cavity.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:24 PM   #7

Thanks folks, I appreciate the responses. Next question: I'm new in the house, but I'm going to guess the shingles are in the 10 year old range, although they look in pretty good shape (and the house inspector said they were in pretty good shape also, for whatever that's worth). Still, they are old. Anything I should be careful and do when cutting them? Also, what sort of sealant(s) or glue(s) or mastic(s), if any, should I put down: between the flashing and the decking? between the shingles and the flashing? between the shingles I've lifted that will lay back down over the surrounding shingles? I should mention I live in Anchorage Alaska, and it's near end of summer and cool (in the 60's going to get cooler, not warmer). We're at the time of year where it's going to start raining soon, then go to october, when it turns white. So if I'm going to do it this year, I need to get on it. Thanks! Thanks!