Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2014, 11:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 42

flashing help

Going to be putting on a new asphalt roof in the coming weeks and almost solved all of my questions, but one problem still eludes me.
I have to poles for my service entrance, one is the typical round pole with the weatherhead, and the other is a chunk of angle iron holding the drop wire (I believe thats the term). Flashing the pole is easy, but how would I flash the angle iron? The previous owner opted for slapping as much tar on as they could and called it finished, and I would rather not do this, but unfortunately I haven't found any other answers online. Any ideas out there other than custom made flashing that needs to be welded on site?

grendel5269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,232

flashing help

Pictures speak wonders.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:12 AM   #3

flashing help

Will take a picture after work tomorrow, little dark now. Good call. Hopefully this thread won't get forgotten about by then
The Following User Says Thank You to grendel5269 For This Useful Post:
roofermann (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #4

flashing help

Lets try again, description as above in OP.
1st pic shows the drop wire on the left connected up to the angle iron. The second pic shows the hack job that was done with tar to seal in the angle iron. The weatherhead mast I'm not concerned with since I will get a split boot for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

flashing help-dsc_0025-medium-.jpg

flashing help-dsc_0026-medium-.jpg
Old 05-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

flashing help

Take the picture farther back from the ground please.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 05-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 518

flashing help

If the weatherhead is properly mounted and secured to the side of the house then that tension pole is not necessary. I'd remove it and mount everything on the weatherhead like it should be.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #7

flashing help

I'm not positive anymore what you want to see if that doesn't show it...My question, how do I flash/waterproof a piece of 1x1 angle iron that is going through a sloped roof?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

flashing help

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel5269 View Post
I'm not positive anymore what you want to see if that doesn't show it...My question, how do I flash/waterproof a piece of 1x1 angle iron that is going through a sloped roof?
Post a picture from the ground showing the whole roof line. We can zoom in if needed to see the detail.

You do not have to take a macro zoomed photo showing one part. What we really need is the whole roof and the side of the house, to see what is going on.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:14 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,246

flashing help

Try here-- http://www.bestmaterials.com/retrofit_adaptors.aspx
roofermann (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 12:33 AM   #10

flashing help

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Beautiful, that is exactly what I'm after. I searched and searched for it but no luck, Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to grendel5269 For This Useful Post:
roofermann (05-16-2014)