Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Flashing for Brick Wall

Do you all think this is leak proof?

http://public.fotki.com/rdsandy/matt...smartvent.html

sandyman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Flashing for Brick Wall

No I don't, you are relying to much on the caulking and whats the 1x3 for?
I would take a masonary abrasive wheel or diamond blade and cut a groove in the mortar and have the flashing fit into this groove (1"deep) and slick in some masonary cement.

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 75

Flashing for Brick Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyman720 View Post
Do you all think this is leak proof?

http://public.fotki.com/rdsandy/matt...smartvent.html
My first guess would be, "No." You'll want to check with Ed the Roofer, and some other very knowledgeable people on this forum. From my experience, you'll run the risk of getting water build up in the lip of the flashing, and if not sealed 100%, you'll get leaks down the side of the chimney. I believe the correct way to mount the flashing is to bend the top edge to create a lip and insert it into the mortart. You'll need to cut a small horizontal groove in the mortar so that the lip of flashing slides in between the bricks, and then caulk that seam.
gshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Flashing for Brick Wall

That was my first impression also, but the tech from DCI who makes the smartvent told me to do it like this.
sandyman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #5
Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 75

Flashing for Brick Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyman720 View Post
That was my first impression also, but the tech from DCI who makes the smartvent told me to do it like this.
It wouldn't be the first time that a tech has given the wrong information. I'd trust the roofers on this one. I'm not, but this is what I've seen from others.
gshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Flashing for Brick Wall

Although the more commonly suggested method of installing a counter flashing attached to a brick chimney or wall is to cut out the mortar joint, blow out the embedded mortar dust, install a polyurethane sealant into the joint, insert the bent ledge of the top of the sheet metal counter flashing into the joint and then to anchor the counter flashing to the structure or to the masonry surface with either tap-con masonry screws or lead/zinc nail-ins, there is some debate as to whetrher or not that properly makes the structure water-tight.

One suggestion is to place a foam backer rod behind the sheet metal counter flashing just below the ledge to account for expansion and contraction.

I have no idea where the suggestion for inserting a 1" x 3" firring strip or lath board behind the counter flashing came from. That is a new one to me.

If the masonry joint is not cut out properly, the previous method could create more problems than the intended solution it was trying to become.

The most important portion of the sheet metal counter flashing for water tight integrity is the caulking that gets embedded behind the sheet metal prior to attaching it to the structure with the masonry fasteners.

The location of this caulking would be around the top edge of the 1" x 3" in the previous diagram. The open hem or trough MUST be properly sealed with caulking so as not to puddle up any accumulated water.

Many commercial roofing diagrams drawn up by architects do not require the cutting out of the mortar joint and I have installed thousands of feet of counter flashings in both methods, with the only leak one time occurring from a reglet being cut out, which allowed moisture to wick past the flashing components.

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 08-09-2007 at 01:40 AM.
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote