Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Flashing advice

What is the correct way to flash the corner where the roof meets the siding corner (see photo)? (The far side of the roof where it extends past the siding a foot or so.)
Attached Thumbnails
Flashing advice-100_2374.jpg  

Ben W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #2

Flashing advice

yea you see that alot on older houses with wood siding,nowadays you would hold the siding up from the roof an inch or so,i like to see the first piece of step flashing running past the corner and the first siding course cut around it

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
Handyman

Flashing advice

The flashing should have been installed before the siding was installed. No way to flash it now without removing the planks.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:26 PM   #4

Flashing advice

I'm in luck - I'm doing my roof this weekend (if the weather holds up) and that's why I'm asking. So I'm going to pull all of the siding and be able to start fresh.

I'd like to be able to solder some flashing that would match all the angles - the "front" vertical face under the siding, the "side" vertical face of siding, the pitch of the roof, and the side of the roof that extends out past the siding. Otherwise I'll have to use multiple pieces of flashing that overlap each other.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
Handyman

Flashing advice

step or stair flashing? Anyway, always nice to see an eager DIYer..you go girlfriend!!
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #6

Flashing advice

the sides do need individual step flashing,don't try to do these in 1 piece
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
Mod

Rewards Points: 56

Flashing advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben W View Post
I'm in luck - I'm doing my roof this weekend (if the weather holds up) and that's why I'm asking. So I'm going to pull all of the siding and be able to start fresh.

I'd like to be able to solder some flashing that would match all the angles - the "front" vertical face under the siding, the "side" vertical face of siding, the pitch of the roof, and the side of the roof that extends out past the siding. Otherwise I'll have to use multiple pieces of flashing that overlap each other.
Your, "otherwise" is how you do it, 5”x5”x9” pieces of flashing overlapping each other. If you do it any other way, your wrong.

A piece of roofing, a piece of flashing, a piece of roofing, a piece of flashing all the way up the wall.

After you’re done roofing lay a 1x on the roof and cut your siding to that. Slip out the 1x and you’ll see the flashing stepping up the wall.

The gap will help keep the siding from rotting and give you (or the new owner) plenty of room for another layer of roofing some day.

PS. Don’t forget the new paper on the wall that laps over your new “Step Flashing” for the Siding.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 06-23-2010 at 09:34 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:34 AM   #8
Shut in w/o Home

Flashing advice

Quote:
What is the correct way to flash the corner where the roof meets the siding corner (see photo)? (The far side of the roof where it extends past the siding a foot or so.)
I can't tell from the picture, but if the roof abuts the front of the dormer as well as the side, you need to start off with a piece similar to the picture below. Then step flash as mentioned above, except the size of the step flashings available to you will vary regionally. 5x7 is the common size used locally.
Attached Images

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:34 AM   #9

Flashing advice

I'm well aware of how to use step flashing and the whole process of flashing/siding the side of a house.

Everyone take a look back at the photo and pretend you're sticking your head out the window. The 18" wide section of roof extends out past the side of the house 12" or so. So, there is a board that is vertical behind what you can see from this photo, that could be seen from the window. I need to know how to flash this corner where 4 different planes are coming together, similar to what "seeyou" posted like the front of a chimney or front of a dormer, except half the front apron would continue down the side of the house.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:37 AM   #10
Shut in w/o Home

Flashing advice

Quote:
I'm well aware of how to use step flashing and the whole process of flashing/siding the side of a house.

Everyone take a look back at the photo and pretend you're sticking your head out the window. The 18" wide section of roof extends out past the side of the house 12" or so. So, there is a board that is vertical behind what you can see from this photo, that could be seen from the window. I need to know how to flash this corner where 4 different planes are coming together, similar to what "seeyou" posted like the front of a chimney or front of a dormer, except half the front apron would continue down the side of the house.
There's your answer.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #11

Flashing advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
There's your answer.
I can't say that I've gotten any further than where I started. There are four planes that are intersecting here. So:

1. Is there a pre-made piece that would work here?
2. Or what combination of flashing would I use?
  • I &W on the roof and up the side of the house.
  • One piece up the front of the house that folds onto the deck of the roof.
  • one piece that comes down the roof deck and folds over the front of the house and side of the roof extention.
  • Caulk the intersection point.
  • Shingle
  • Step flashing
3. Is the "correct" way to bend up all the flashing and then solder it all together? Caulk is not really a permanent roofing solution.

See this photo for another location but with the same scenario:
Attached Thumbnails
Flashing advice-copy-100_2379.jpg  
Old 06-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #12
Shut in w/o Home

Flashing advice

The piece that I pictured addresses three planes: Two wall and one roof plane. I can't visualize where one piece of flashing will touch four planes. Please explain. I don't see it in your photo.

And that piece is for sale online. I can't post a link here, but it's called a "front corner flashing".
Old 06-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #13

Flashing advice

Do you see how your dormer sits completely up on the roof, while my roof breaks in front of my dormer? The apron of your flashing would sit out in space, so I'd like one that would continue down the front of the siding and the vertical wall (white) of the projecting roof. I'll google that "front corner flashing". Thanks for the help so far.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
Shut in w/o Home

Flashing advice

Quote:
Do you see how your dormer sits completely up on the roof, while my roof breaks in front of my dormer? The apron of your flashing would sit out in space, so I'd like one that would continue down the front of the siding and the vertical wall (white) of the projecting roof. I'll google that "front corner flashing". Thanks for the help so far.
I understand now. I've marked the area in red (the cornice end) that you want to flash in addition to the roof to wall junction.

You don't need any special pieces for that. With the siding and roofing removed, slit a piece of standard step flashing down the fold a couple of inches. Line the bottom of the slit up with the top of the roof sheathing and bend one side down on the roof. the other side will remain on the wall. Slit another piece in a similar fashion and lay it on the roof against the side of the dormer with the slit on the bottom end. Fold one of the tabs around the front of the dormer. Solder them together. Start installing shingles and step flash conventionally right over the special flashing you made. Belt and suspenders.
Attached Thumbnails
Flashing advice-bens-dormer1.jpg  
Old 06-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
Chicago, IL

Flashing advice

IMO, you want to extend the flashing down from the dormer corner and over the drip edge at the eave, terminating in a kick-out to divert water into the gutter - otherwise you will have a little waterfall running down the wall below the dormer corner:

I would step flash to the dormer corner, overlapping a continuous piece of flashing down to and overlapping the drip edge - the result might not be ideally atheistically, but if you want optimum water control....

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 06-24-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote