Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2009, 06:50 AM   #1

Share |

Flashing-

Hello.
Just moved into a house, while doing inside renovations I noticed the flashing on the second floor was rusted through or non existant. This is the layer between the house wall made of stucco and a 3 foot tar shingled roof. The roof was supposed to have been done 5 years ago. Apparently it was shingled over the old shingles and no new flashing was added. I don't see any leaks, but do not know for sure. i Have a 2 foot over hang on the top roof which seems to cover this.
My question is whether or not I have to put in flashing at this level. And if so, due to tight funds, can I but time by caulking over the top shingle and bottom part of stucco wall.
Plan on having a roofer check it out, but liked to go in with some ideas of possible solutions.
Thank you.

sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
Commercial Roofing

Flashing-

I have seen this practice performed many times, and even did it for a comapny I once worked for. Mostt times they never leaked.

I, however, refuse to trust MY roofing to an old flashing. I re-flash when I re-roof, whether its a tear off or a layover. This adds some man hours to the process, so needless to say, I dont do a lot of shingling when the others will bid to install new shingles and call it a roof, but not ever install a new roofing system.

I dont ever trust the underlying shingles to keep water out of the wall junctures in situations like this, since I am putting on a new roof and blowing a bunch of holes through the old one.

New flashings are in order, but don't expect it to be cheap, especially if wokring with stucco.

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #3

Flashing-

Thanks for your response. That's what I figured. I'm gonna get an estimate and take it from there.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #4

Flashing-

The job is extensive and out of my price range at this time. Is there anything I can do about these holes worn through the flashing from the inside. I was thinking quick flash tape, not sure if this would cause the water to run down nd accumulate somewhere.
Any ideas?
Thanks.,
Old 10-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #5

Flashing-

Why don't you go and buy the flashing and DIY? Just pry the bottom of the bottom row up carefully and pull the nails out of the old flashing and replace it with new. It is a pain in the @$$ and that is why contractors charge a lot. It is always more expensive to have something done correctly after the fact.
bronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote