Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #1

Share |

Is this flashed properly?

This is the latest update to my last thread: Can see outside at Chimney / roof line

I complained about their work and this is their latest effort...

Would this pass code? What have they done wrong here that I can specifically point out. I can still see light from inside the attic and the work looks just awful, but I'm not expert on this kind of work, so I'm hoping for some more help from you guys. Thanks in advance! More pics after this message.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this flashed properly?-chimney324.jpg   Is this flashed properly?-chimney3242.jpg   Is this flashed properly?-chimney3243.jpg   Is this flashed properly?-chimney3244.jpg   Is this flashed properly?-chimney3245.jpg  

indianaftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #2

These are the rest. Thanks again for all of your help so far and any future help you may offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this flashed properly?-chimney3246.jpg   Is this flashed properly?-chimney3247.jpg   Is this flashed properly?-chimney3248.jpg   Is this flashed properly?-chimney3249.jpg  

Old 03-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
Shut in w/o Home

Doesn't look much better than the 1st attempt. Whoever is doing that needs to get down off of the roof and back on the drywall crew.

The flange that goes into the mortar joint should be a minimum of 1" deep. Theirs appears to be 1/2" or less. The corners should be wrapped by about 2". I can't tell how far they've turned the corner since they wrapped the opposite direction of how most flashers do it. Since the reglet flange is so slight, I'm guessing they didn't turn very far back around the corner. I don't like to see any face nails through the flashing either. And their caulk looks like it's running out. I can't tell for sure if it's actually sealing the flashing to the brick. Does it leak?

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
Doesn't look much better than the 1st attempt. Whoever is doing that needs to get down off of the roof and back on the drywall crew.

The flange that goes into the mortar joint should be a minimum of 1" deep. Theirs appears to be 1/2" or less. The corners should be wrapped by about 2". I can't tell how far they've turned the corner since they wrapped the opposite direction of how most flashers do it. Since the reglet flange is so slight, I'm guessing they didn't turn very far back around the corner. I don't like to see any face nails through the flashing either. And their caulk looks like it's running out. I can't tell for sure if it's actually sealing the flashing to the brick. Does it leak?

Thanks for the info. I thought it all looked wrong as well.

It was just installed last night and we have not had any rains yet to see if it leaks. Should I get an actual inspector to come by and prove to them that they are doing it wrong? They just don't believe me now when I complained again.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianaftw View Post
Thanks for the info. I thought it all looked wrong as well.

It was just installed last night and we have not had any rains yet to see if it leaks. Should I get an actual inspector to come by and prove to them that they are doing it wrong? They just don't believe me now when I complained again.
The inspectors here would likely not know all the finer details of flashing. It would be judged by whether it leaks or not. If the second attempt didn't improve on the 1st, this job is obviously outside the skill set of the person trying to flash this chimney.

Hopefully, payment has been with held. Get a qualified roofer to flash that chimney. If it leaks now, you will have good recourse. Unfortunately, if it doesn't leak now, it probably will later. There appears to be too much reliance on caulk vs flashing skill.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
Pro Slate Roofer

That keyway at the L. Front corner tells the tale! The termination flashing on the front doesn't extend 4-6" past the corner like it's supposed too, nor is there a sign of the necessary step-flashing either.

The termination flashing is in one piece, not two.

No tinner's wing directing the water past the corner, instead of into it.

I'd bet $50.00 the top pieces, if any are there, aren't scissor-locked either. Some details here. http://www.albertsroofing.com/Chimney%20Repair.htm
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
Pro Slate Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post

Yep! seeyou mentioned the other stuff. No need to repeat.
It goes to show that a painter, or whatever can't roof too.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
RFN-4A-LVN

Several important issues concerning this counter flashing installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this flashed properly?-chimney3247.jpg   Is this flashed properly?-chimney3245.jpg  

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote