Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #1

Share |

fixing eaves

this topmost part of my roof seems to be deteriorating it is pretty soft, and I was wondering the best way to go about fixing it?
no_Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN

fixing eaves

Depends on if you want it fixed or just repaired.

Fixed IMHO would be.

1.)Remove the shingles along the entire rakeline.
2.)Remove the drip edge.
3.)Cut the overhang off and replace any rotted or deteriorated decking.
4.) Replace any siding affected by deterioration too.
5.)Replace fascia boards that are damaged.
6.)Treat and prime the fascia.
7.)Paint the fascia boards.
8.)If possible install some fascia wrap.
9.)Replace any felt on the roof deck that was removed or damaged during shingle removal.
10.)Replace the drip edge
11.)Replace the starter and shingles.
12.)Cut the rake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Mod

fixing eaves

I see no fascia but it needs it and gutters too.

That’s just siding running right up to the roof deck (bad detail).

Next time you re-roof add a overhang.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #4

fixing eaves

it is an overhand hard to tell with the pick the bottom red part is the overhand running parallel with the ground. the next 2 above it i belive are fasciaboards as they run straight up and down. Gutters wouldn't be worth it as I live in west texas and rainfall come very little.

But is there another way to repair it without removing the shingles right now, since the roof is fairly new.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
RFN-4A-LVN

fixing eaves

IMHO since the roof is so new it would be better for several reasons.1st being it might be easier to repair them and not to mention dealing with color variations when replacing them.Meaning an older roof with faded colors would clash with the richness of a new roof.Completely noticeable.

2nd the blending could be less noticable if replaced soon..Depending on whether you have an arch or 3 tabs for shingles can determine how much and how many shingles will be removed and replaced.I guess its safe to assume all rakes are in this condition?

If cash is the factor you can do the most deteriorated side first.But be sure to do the entire rakeline.Meaning either left side gutterline to peak then peak to gutterline.

I guess the shingles can be loosened then remove the drip edge,fascia but then it would be a little dangerous trying to cut the overhang with the shingles still in place.

The reason I would pull the entire rakeline down to the decking is to be certain that the weatherd and deteriorated areas have not continued further away from the rakeline.

IMO I would feel more comfy knowing that the rotted or weak areas are replaced.Sorta like piece of mind knowing that the job was performed and completed properly and all decking was inspected for any type of issues that might compromise the roofs function and integrity.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 03-26-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
MJW

fixing eaves

Ha, those are the ones that a crafty sub from a large name company (probably like one that is advertising next to my post >>>>) would come in, bend up some coil, cover it, call it fixed, and then send you a hefty bill.

That stuff should be fixed by the roofer, but sadly most roofers are just that....only roofers.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #7

fixing eaves

can you tell exactly how the eaves are layed out? Like is that the rake you call it, how does it connect to the roof, and how long is it normally?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
RFN-4A-LVN

fixing eaves

[quote=MJW;617808]Ha, those are the ones that a crafty sub from a large name company (probably like one that is advertising next to my post >>>>) would come in, bend up some coil, cover it, call it fixed, and then send you a hefty bill.

That stuff should be fixed by the roofer, but sadly most roofers are just that....only roofers.[/qu

??????? My are we on one or what?

I am involved in every project signed.No short cuts and no slapping anything with a hefty bill to follow.I don't see how a detailed course of action amounts to bending some coil,covering it then calling it fixed and then billing.? I guess I might be missing your point.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 03-27-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
Mod

fixing eaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_Wedge View Post
it is an overhand hard to tell with the pick the bottom red part is the overhand running parallel with the ground. the next 2 above it i belive are fasciaboards as they run straight up and down. Gutters wouldn't be worth it as I live in west texas and rainfall come very little.

But is there another way to repair it without removing the shingles right now, since the roof is fairly new.
Is this at the eve or running up the rake?

Can you post another picture standing back showing that side of the house?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
RFN-4A-LVN

fixing eaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Is this at the eve or running up the rake?

Can you post another picture standing back showing that side of the house?
I thought it was the rake because of the direction of the decking.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
Mod

fixing eaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
I thought it was the rake because of the direction of the decking.
Youíre probably right, I was seeing something else. Must be a roll. Iím not seeing shingles.

Either way itís still a bad detail and should be corrected.

Hard to get the whole story with just one close-up.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
MJW

fixing eaves

[quote=Roofmaster417;617847]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Ha, those are the ones that a crafty sub from a large name company (probably like one that is advertising next to my post >>>>) would come in, bend up some coil, cover it, call it fixed, and then send you a hefty bill.

That stuff should be fixed by the roofer, but sadly most roofers are just that....only roofers.[/qu

??????? My are we on one or what?

I am involved in every project signed.No short cuts and no slapping anything with a hefty bill to follow.I don't see how a detailed course of action amounts to bending some coil,covering it then calling it fixed and then billing.? I guess I might be missing your point.
I was talking about the google ads. The ones around here who advertise big usually are rather hackish. Seen plenty of their work up close and fixed a lot of it. Wasn't directed at you.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJW For This Useful Post:
Roofmaster417 (03-28-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #13
RFN-4A-LVN

fixing eaves

Quote:
can you tell exactly how the eaves are layed out? Like is that the rake you call it, how does it connect to the roof, and how long is it normally?
A rake is the edge either left or right from the center of the roof.

I have seen homes with no overhanging rakes and flush eaves.I recommend having some type of overhang or eave.IMO your rakelines are deteriorating and rotting due to exposure to the elements.Cutting the overhang on the rakeline (Decking only) will eliminate the exposure to the elements once drip edge is applied.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #14

fixing eaves

so the rakeline is part of the decking layer? and the only way to repair it is removing shingles?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #15
RFN-4A-LVN

fixing eaves

Quote:
so the rake line is part of the decking layer? and the only way to repair it is removing shingles?
The rake is a terminology of the straight section to the left or right of the roof line.

The Top/Peak of the roof is the Ridge line.

The area parallel to the ground is the Gutter line.

Under the Gutter line and under the Rake line is the eave.
Attached Thumbnails
fixing eaves-dsc00116.jpg