Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #1

Share |

Fix or Replace Roof Tile?

I have a cracked Roof Tile (Monier). Its a flat tile. I live in Sacramento, California so the weather going forward is pretty mild, so no concern for at least two weeks.

I don't know where to get a new tile, so I was thinking if I can just wrap it up in Saranwrap temporarily or some other quick fix, until I can figure out how to buy a new tile. As you can see from the photo, the two pieces match perfectly, so I was thinking there is some kind of glue I can use if I cannot find the right tile at a store.

I will check Lowe's and Home Depot, but didn't see anything on their website.

Any ideas on a temporary fix or a place to find a new roof tile?
Attached Thumbnails
Fix or Replace Roof Tile?-monier-cracked1.jpg   Fix or Replace Roof Tile?-monier-cracked2.jpg   Fix or Replace Roof Tile?-monier-cracked3.jpg  

greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN

http://www.geocelusa.com/products.ht...page.tpl&pop=0

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
RFN-4A-LVN

That will do for a quick fix.,,Check your local roofing suppliers for the adhesive and the tile replacement if needed.Make sure you clean both pieces where the adhesive is placed.Gently with a wire brush to remove dirt,dust and debris.

Most times the new tile will look out of place and obvious if in the front or main focal point from the entry to your home because the color will be richer than the rest of the tiles.

If your feeling froggy it might be best to remove one from a less visible area and place it where the cracked one was and put the new one in the less visible area.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Monier is a huge ($1,500,000,000 sales) international company. Some of the U.S. companies (concrete mainly) were sold off and may operate under different names now, but the shapes made using the same equipment, processes and materials may be available under different names. Two suggestions are to contact local suppliers than may have sold the product or look for other homes in the area and try to find someone that may sell you a spare from and unexposed area - the other choice is glue.

As Roofmaster417 suggested, relocation of a unit from an inconspicuous area may be an option since it would be a better match with similar weathering exposure.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Metal Roofing

ABC supply

I am sure if you locate a roofing supply company in your area they will have it. Take the broken one with you!

Do not go to HD or Lowes.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Pro Slate Roofer

Replace. No fix will last for any lenght of time.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
That will do for a quick fix.,,Check your local roofing suppliers for the adhesive and the tile replacement if needed.Make sure you clean both pieces where the adhesive is placed.Gently with a wire brush to remove dirt,dust and debris.

Most times the new tile will look out of place and obvious if in the front or main focal point from the entry to your home because the color will be richer than the rest of the tiles.

If your feeling froggy it might be best to remove one from a less visible area and place it where the cracked one was and put the new one in the less visible area.
I'll check online and the yellow pages to find a local roof supplier. Since it is getting close to summer, the adhesive would do if I can't find a local place that has the tile.

If the tile stands out, I can place it in another location as you mentioned.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
Shut in w/o Home

Try these guys:

http://www.tileroofs.com/

http://www.customtileroofing.com/lookingfortile.asp

http://www.claytileroof.com/salvage.asp
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #9

I read that a two part epoxy (resin and hardener) would be able to bond concrete tile. And a fiberglass sheet can be added to the back with the epoxy holding it on, would add strength.

Has anyone tried this?
Old 04-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #10

Why not just get a new one instead of re-engineering a broken one?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
Pro Slate Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrees View Post
I read that a two part epoxy (resin and hardener) would be able to bond concrete tile. And a fiberglass sheet can be added to the back with the epoxy holding it on, would add strength.

Has anyone tried this?
To date, no company or person has made anything that will fix the tile, or anay other roof product. For now, just use a piece of .019 or thicker aluminum the same size of larger then the tile as a bib under the broken tile to catch and keep any rain going down the roof and over the tile below it.
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Why not just get a new one instead of re-engineering a broken one?
I was checking for a temporary solution until I can find a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
To date, no company or person has made anything that will fix the tile, or anay other roof product. For now, just use a piece of .019 or thicker aluminum the same size of larger then the tile as a bib under the broken tile to catch and keep any rain going down the roof and over the tile below it.
If I put the aluminum under the tile, I would still have to use epoxy to keep the broken piece from sliding down, or just not put the broken piece on, and just have the aluminum act as the bottom part of the tile.

One problem might be that aluminum has no grip, so the tile may slid down since only the weight of the tile on top of it and the notch holds the tile in place. And the aluminum is between the the tiles, creating less surface tension. The aluminum would have to be flexible to mold to the back of the tile. Or just make an aluminum tile as a temporary replacement of the whole broken tile.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
Metal Roofing

Green your over thinking this.

That is a common tile, go to ABC Supply with the broken one, they will sell you a new one or get you one from the bone yard. It will take no more time than running to HD or Lowes to get caulking. in fact, the patch will take you twice as much time, once to patch and once to go to ABC and buy the tile.

Why not just skip the bandaid, you will end up saving time and $ in the long run.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyWRS For This Useful Post:
jagans (10-14-2013)
Old 04-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWRS View Post
Green your over thinking this.

That is a common tile, go to ABC Supply with the broken one, they will sell you a new one or get you one from the bone yard. It will take no more time than running to HD or Lowes to get caulking. in fact, the patch will take you twice as much time, once to patch and once to go to ABC and buy the tile.

Why not just skip the bandaid, you will end up saving time and $ in the long run.
Being the weekend, I'll give them a call tomorrow. Just thinking of an alternative if is takes a few weeks to get the new tile.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 AM   #15
Pro Slate Roofer

I apologize for not being clearer.
The piece of metal needs to lay under the two adjacent tiles, minimum 2", and at least 2-4" under the upper tile. It should lap over the lower tile by 2"-5". Just stick the broken one in place for looks on top of it. The metal is the waterproofing piece. Get a new tile and replace the metal and broken tile when you can.
Feel free to bend and flex the metal as needed to get the desired result. Turn the top edge up a tick or two to defeat windblown rain. Turn the bottom edge down a tick or two to hug the lower tile.

The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
bob22 (04-30-2012)

Tags
cracked roof tile, repair roof