Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Fix leak in winter weather????

I'm currently trying to fix up a older mobile home. It had a lot of water spots on the ceiling in a lot of different places. So over the summer I put on a new coat of some sort of silver fiber for aluminum roofs. All the leaks seem to be fixed, but now a new one has appeared just today. It's right where the ceiling and wall meet on a outdoor sharing wall. It's very small. Maybe 1.5 inches by .5 inches. It's seems like it could be easy to find the source... unless the water is pooling there from another source. But my main concern is the fact that it's below zero and I can't even image how to fix a leak in the middle of winter. Is there something I can do, or am I just supposed to wait til spring? Or perhaps there's some sort of temporary fix that would help til the spring? Any tips are appreciated greatly.

Sarah24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

If you can safely get to it from the ladder, and can pin point the problem such as a loose fastener, loose seam, etc., you can use rags to dry that immediate area and cover it with roof cement or caulking and as long as you spread it real well it could hold off the leak for days, weeks, months, etc., until the weather is better.

The most important part of emergency/temporary repairs is the pin point part,
because the more surface you cover in cold and wet weather the less chance you have of getting a temp- stop.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah24 View Post
I'm currently trying to fix up a older mobile home. It had a lot of water spots on the ceiling in a lot of different places. So over the summer I put on a new coat of some sort of silver fiber for aluminum roofs. All the leaks seem to be fixed, but now a new one has appeared just today. It's right where the ceiling and wall meet on a outdoor sharing wall. It's very small. Maybe 1.5 inches by .5 inches. It's seems like it could be easy to find the source... unless the water is pooling there from another source. But my main concern is the fact that it's below zero and I can't even image how to fix a leak in the middle of winter. Is there something I can do, or am I just supposed to wait til spring? Or perhaps there's some sort of temporary fix that would help til the spring? Any tips are appreciated greatly.
The main thing to any repair is preperation. Surface "MUST" be clean &dry! then and only then can you attempt to repair. If you can shovel it off, the sun may help dry it off.
butlersprints is offline   Reply With Quote