Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #1

Share |

Five Day Old Roof Concerns

So the contractor just finished my roof and I have a few concerns about exposed nails, torn shingles, lift ridge cap shingle, plastic not removed on tar strips, etc. The second in command has excuses for everything (like that tar paper is not needed in Idaho, so areas not fully covered are okay). or that I am too picky. The head of the company does not return my emails.

I have not paid for the job yet, as I am waiting for the head of the company to address my concerns first.

Exposed nail in vent

Exposed Nail

End ridge shingle sliced and curling back

Wind lifting ridge shingle. There is a loose nail under there, and nails below tar strip

Torn shingle

Sliced shingle.

Exposed nail

more exposed nails

tar paper between layers of shingles. This is over the top of the mess seen below.

Last edited by jdad; 07-15-2012 at 01:38 PM.
jdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #2

exposed nails on the ridge of dormer

exposed nail

This mess they said was okay because tar paper is not required in Idaho. A few pictures above shows this area with tar paper sticking out between shingles. It give more than any area if you push on it. located above a valley.

Last edited by jdad; 07-15-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdad View Post
The second in command has excuses for everything (like that tar paper is not needed in Idaho, so areas not fully covered are okay). or that I am too picky.
Damn, I wish I knew that 30 years ago.

It does appear you have some serious workmanship issues with your roof. Someone obviously doesn't put much effort or pride into their work. I would definitely be firm about paying in full AFTER all workmanship issues are resolved to your satisfaction. Money doesn't talk, it screams with them.

BTW, the plastic is not supposed to be removed so get that issue out of your head.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #4

Thanks, I did not know it was suppose to remain. When the wind blows, it looks like streamers are attached to the roof with all the plastic blowing about, thus the reason I though it needed to be removed.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

Well, they should still be on the back of the shingle. If they are blowing in the wind then, yes, they should be cleaned up.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #6

There's always going to be two exposed nails at the end of the ridge caps, but they should have had a dab of roofing tar or silicone over the head to seal them.
The rest of the job looks like poop.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #7

I think the exposed nails are by design. Any portion of the roof that can be seen by the second story windows is dapped with tar. The rest are exposed. The roof in general has about 20 exposed nails that I could see after a quick look over.

The roof was installed with temps exceeding 100 degrees. There are areas that the roofer slipped and it looks like the shingles are squashed. I assume this is a non issue as I did not bring it to their attention.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #8

With all the exposed nails NOT on the ridge cap, is taring over them an appropriate fix? It seems like a badage approach to something that should not have occured. Do I demand a reduction in price and then tar the areas myself? I recieved 10 bids, read reviews, talked to everyone I could and ended up with a roof that I fear will not hold water out in a year or so. It appears that half the nails are downhill from the tar strips.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #9

There should have been 0 nails visable in the main roof. If you can see them they did not follow the manufactures instrutions on where to nail.

Find the maunfactures website and print out the directions on the exact style shingles that were installed on your roof.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #10

I am not a roofer. I agree with Joe, there should only be a few places where nails ever are exposed, and in those situations a real roofer would tar them or silicone them... Looking at your ridge.. the last course of regular shingles should have been lowered so the tar strip catches them better.. those aren't ridge cap shingles, you have architectural shingles, it appears the roofer had a fairly old bundle of left over 3 tab shingles and cut them as a ridge cap(which is normal) but by me just looking at the picture that tar strip appears to be the same size as the roofing nail head, to my knowledge they haven't made them that small in years.. No tar paper in IDAHO?? How anyone can say that is absurd.. It appears he changed out some vents? I thought real roofers replaced all collars? I would do what joe stated as far as the manufactures instructions.. and do not pay that roofer a dime.. (ps. those ridge cap shingles should have been started from the other direction if you have a prevailing wind that comes the way they are lifted, I am not a roofer and I know this.)
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #11

I really hate to complain. I understand that things happen. But... when it all adds ups and you are expected to pay a lot of hard earned money, well, I feel I have the right.

My wife suggested in the beginning that she and I do it ourselves. We then decided we would do the painting and other remodel portions ourselves and leave this job to a roofer, as we would not want to mess it up. She was right. We should have done it ourselves! At least we would take our time and attempt to do it by the book.

Day one started out rough, The contractor placed wood over one part of the area to protect the plants, but not this area. After I complained, and move the debri off the plants, they move the plywood to this side and then dumped off the other spot destroying a tree:

Prior to the start of day three, I contacted the owner and asked that they look at the papering job. Guess it was okay with them as it appears by feel that it was not corrected.

Last edited by jdad; 07-15-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
Exterior Construction

What was his bid like compared to the other contractors?

There are quite a few things wrong with that roof.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
What was his bid like compared to the other contractors?

There are quite a few things wrong with that roof.
Three bids in the mid $7K range 2 mid $9K, $10.5K, $12K and a couple higher. This bid was in the &.5-9.5 range. Company has been in buisness locally for about 12 years.

Can you folks please point out everything that you see incorrect with the pictures. I need help prior to meeting with the contractor. I am also thinking about getting a building inspector over to take a look.

Bid states:

Apply Owens Corning Oakridge Pro30 Architectural shingles, Install standard hip and ridge cap over all hip and ridgelines.

It appears to be three tap on the ridgecaps, and as I read the above, that is not the same as a standard ridge cap. Am I reading this wrong?

Last edited by jdad; 07-15-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
Exterior Construction

They haven't been in business for 12 years doing stuff like that.

I would call the office and get an owner/foreman out there on Monday.

Show him what you have shown us and he/she should want to pro-actively fix every item shown and actually do some additional investigation on his/her own to make sure the roof is done completely correct.

How many squares was the roof?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #15

28 squares

I called the second in command Wednesday and he said they would take a look and then preety much blew me off. On Thursday the owner emailed the bill. I responded with wanting to discuss some things. Saturday I went up to take a look at something that seems out of place. The wind was blowing pretty good and I noticed the ridgeline. I then saw all the nail heads.

I sent the owner an email yesterday and then followed up with pictures today.

I will call tomorrow and give him a chance to make things better, which appear to be a tear-off and re-roof over a good portion of the roof as the manner in which they applied the shingles void the warranty.

If this is not taken care of, well, I guess I need a good attorney