Finials And Other Architectural Accents- Your Thoughts? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Finials and other Architectural Accents- Your Thoughts?

What do you think about finials (those ball and spire ornaments that adorn rooftops)? Do you ever work with them or install? Do your customers ever ask for them as part of the project? What would make you consider finials for a job?

I am new to this forum and have opened a business this year that designs and sells finials to the wholesale market. Mainly we sell to guys on the internet, garden centers, etc..., where often roofing contractors purchase from them at retail. I do not want to post a shameless plug for my company here, but rather wish to seek information from professionals like yourselves on your experience, point of view, and advice regarding finials and other decorative accessories. Thank you for your comments.

Advertisement

Finial Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

A lot of the finials in my area are made of wood, and are in pretty poor shape because nobody wants to climb up there to paint it. Many houses have lightening rods with the ball that tend to get thrown away when it comes time to re-roof.

Advertisement

shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shazapple For This Useful Post:
Finial Guy (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I worked mainly on antique homes, several Queen Anne's, and they go with the territory. Many old homes would look incomplete without them. Many were wood but a lot were metalwork and often combined with weather vanes and things.

I think on the right home they are a great addition so long as there is a commitment to maintaining them. They look as stupid as stupid to me as faux shutters that would never cover windows where they do not belong though. An ornate Victorian finial does not belong on the end of the roof covering a sprawling one story ranch.

There are a lot of them in need of work on old building here in the city so there is probably a market for what you are doing if you can tap it. If you can swing it, you might try an ad in the back of one or two of the restoration magazines or on their websites. Add appropriate key words to your site too.

I do think they can really perk up boring looking fence and porch posts---and landscape structure. Again, if not totally out of place. I rebuilt this two-tone lattice fence and switched the finials not too terribly long ago. I needed a bunch too for the whole fence.
Attached Thumbnails
Finials and other Architectural Accents- Your Thoughts?-lattice-repair-two-tone-fence.jpg  

Last edited by user1007; 08-15-2013 at 11:41 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Finial Guy (08-15-2013)