DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Roofing/Siding (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/)
-   -   Fiber Cement Siding - Nailing butt joints? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/fiber-cement-siding-nailing-butt-joints-182284/)

DukeLewis87 06-22-2013 01:12 PM

Fiber Cement Siding - Nailing butt joints?
 
I finished an 8ft x 24ft wall this week in my off time. Looks wonderful execpt for some of the corners on the butt joints aren't tight against the house.

What nail or system do I use to make these tighter and even against the house?

I've been underside nailing them.

MTN REMODEL LLC 06-22-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeLewis87 (Post 1205533)
I finished an 8ft x 24ft wall this week in my off time. Looks wonderful execpt for some of the corners on the butt joints aren't tight against the house.

What nail or system do I use to make these tighter and even against the house?

I've been underside nailing them.



....Trim....:huh:

kwikfishron 06-22-2013 01:24 PM

You need to face nail the butt joints and where siding meets the corners, windows, etc. I'd use 7d ring shank siding nails for that.

DukeLewis87 06-22-2013 01:56 PM

Thats what im using now execpt im nailing underneath the 1.25" overlay

7d hot dipped galvanized ring shank coil nails

Should I predrill and hand nail it for going threw the overlap+face?

DukeLewis87 06-22-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC (Post 1205535)
....Trim....:huh:


Ha. 90% of trim was on before I sided it... :laughing:

MTN REMODEL LLC 06-22-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeLewis87 (Post 1205562)
Ha. 90% of trim was on before I sided it... :laughing:


Gotcha...:thumbsup:

DukeLewis87 06-22-2013 02:39 PM

So should I predrill and hand nail threw 2 layers or just turn the depth a little on the nailer.

kwikfishron 06-22-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeLewis87 (Post 1205596)
So should I predrill and hand nail threw 2 layers or just turn the depth a little on the nailer.

You need to nail through both pieces about 3/4-1" up from the bottom edge. I hand nail it. You can per-drill if it you want but it's not necessary most of the time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 PM.