Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #1

Share |
Question

felt by trade name or other product instead of felt

I am hoping to buy felt on Craigslist. I figure this is the first layer no matter what roof I put on.

What are some other names or trade term for felt? I viewed You-tube and a video suggests a product that functions as felt but has adhesive backing. You remove what covers the adhensive and then apply. What might it be called?

What weight felt is needed in Southern California high desert area?

highdeserthome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #2

Felt paper can be referred to as tar paper sometimes. The sticky stuff you refer to is called ice and water shiled and is used mainly in colder climates to help prevent ice dam damage. It is a very sticky substance and has a self healing property that when a nail is driven through it it kind of "melts" around it sealing the hole. Ice and water sheild is quite expensive in comparison to felt paper. I will let the profesionals answer the question as to what weight paper to get for your area.

bcgfdc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #3

30 lb. felt Better make sure there's soffit vents and a ridge vent or those shingles will over heat.

Last edited by joecaption; 02-06-2012 at 07:36 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
KemoSabe

Besides felt and traditional ice and water products, there are also synthetic roofing underlayments.

Grace is one of the major manufacturers.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
RFN-4A-LVN

Felt costs around $18-25 per roll.That is including 15lb standard and UL#15 and 30lb.15lb Felt coverage depending on manufacture some is 4 sq. and another is 4.33 sq.30lb felt coverage is around 2sq. per roll so for every single roll of 15lb felt coverage, 30lb will require 2.

When I buy felt from my roofing supplier and or Lowe's etc.I take comfort in knowing that if I have a problem with any part of that roll I can take it back and either replace it or get a refund.Craigslist has no such return policy.

Most times you can tell if a roll is screwed up by the ends of the roll.Smashed or damaged rolls are pretty noticeably and it does not take a engineering degree to take notice of these defective traits.

Felt is notorious for the inside of the roll being oiled a stuck together.This does not make itself known until your about 2/3 way through the roll.I would hate for you to buy a large amount of C rated junked up frozen rolls of felt and be stuck with them.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote