Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
Lost..

Share |

Fastners for felt, other questions.

I'm going to install the roof deck and roof over a small shop I'm building in my backyard in the next week or two. The situation I am facing is that I will probably not get a day off of work any time within the next couple of weeks, and I will be doing this at night after I get off of work. I may not be able to complete all parts of the job all at once, so I have a few questions.

I feel like I will be able to at least get the deck up and get it covered with felt in a day or two's time. I know that OSB cannot be exposed to weather for very long. If I get it covered with felt, will it be enough to hold off any weather the OSB may experience while I'm waiting on a chance to get the shingles on?

I thought I might use staples? If so, won't this create a hole that water or weather could possible get through before the shingles are apllied?

My roof measures 282 square feet, so I bought 3 squares of shingles. The building itself is 12'x16', with 1' overhangs all the way around. I still need to cut some of the shingles for ridge caps and also starter shingles. Will I have enough with only 3 squares or will I need more? I got my shingles at Lowes, and they still have the pallet I got those bundles from at the store a week ago. I don't remember seeing any specific starter material. If I cut my starter shingles from regular ones I'm sure I may need extra. Any advice on this?

Thanks

J S Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #2

I would not worry about the penetrations from the staples.

If I was you, I would use tin caps along with the staples.

This will insure the felt stays on in case of any wind gusts before you apply the shingles.

waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
Lost..

What are tin caps?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:36 AM   #4

Round sheet metal discs that you staple or nail through. It will add surface area to the fastener of choice. I will assist in preventing the felt from blowing off, also help keep the wrinkles down somewhat.
waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
Low Slope Roofing

I would use plastic cap nails they seem to hold better then the tin and staples. THe nails have a 1" plastic disk and a nail not staples. You will need some type of starter if you cut shingles that works if you cut them right or you can buy a starter roll from lowes or who ever. Make sure to run it along the rake edges too if your roof has them. Yes you will need more shingles.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Lost..

Is there a reason the starter needs to be run alng the rake edges? I have figured up a layout of my shingles that protects this area, and nothing is left exposed underneath like the first course on the eaves.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
Low Slope Roofing

Wind up lift. Helps keep the wind out of there and from blowing up your shingles from the sides.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
Lost..

understood.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
RFN-4A-LVN

30lb felt and button caps and a tarp.

30lb to stay solid while its waiting on a roof.At least 1" button caps.1 tarp for piece of mind.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
Remodeler

I only use 30# felt for all jobs now. Years ago 15# was a much better product than it is today. Now it has so little tar content it is almost like rosin paper. It used to almost be stuck to itself when you tried to unroll it, not much sticky there now. Nail it down in the sun and it would tighten up like a drum, not any more.

30# felt and cap nails, if you are going to leave it a while be generous with the nails and even staple the edges and seams every 3 or 4 inches. As long as it does not have any loose areas to start flapping it will stay pretty well, if it starts flapping in the wind; its gone.

I like the rolled starter strip. It is sticky on the back and a thick tar strip on the front, glues the edges down nice.

iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote