Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Fastening Hardie Panel

I have a small job to do. Enclosing an open barn with app. 12 sheets of Hardie panel.

Hardie recommends nails. Now this may sound odd but I always like to use screws for my projects. This includes securing studs. Yes, i know it is more expensive but I believe screws are more secure and are more easily removed if necessary. I love my square hole deck screws.

So opinions on using deck screws on Hardie panel? Must I pre drill a starter hole.

Thanks

drjay9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 528

Fastening Hardie Panel

Nope don't use screws it will not secure it just tear it up. it is paper with cement and the screws will just make a weak spot were you drill them in to. That is why James Hardi says use nails.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,110

Fastening Hardie Panel

Hope you plan on installing it over sheathing.
Unsupported by just installing it over studs will have weak spots where if anything hits it will cause it to break.
I've tried all kinds of nailers that I already owned to install that stuff and they all failed.
I finally broke down and bought a real siding nailer. It's a Bostitch coil nailer.
It make the job a whole lot easier.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Fastening Hardie Panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Hope you plan on installing it over sheathing.
Unsupported by just installing it over studs will have weak spots where if anything hits it will cause it to break.
I've tried all kinds of nailers that I already owned to install that stuff and they all failed.
I finally broke down and bought a real siding nailer. It's a Bostitch coil nailer.
It make the job a whole lot easier.

Agreed. I will be put up 7/16 OSB on studs (16 O.C.) than the Hardi.

As this will likely be the only siding I will do I don't want to buy a nailer. Maybe I can rent one.

I did see that the big box stores sell all kinds of screws specific to "cement board". I'd imagine Hardie falls into this category.

Thanks for your opinion.
drjay9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,110

Fastening Hardie Panel

Going to mention this again as you've already been told, do not screw it!
It's going to take far to long, it will bust out and leave a raised mushroomed head holding the siding away from the wall.
The pain in the butt screws your looking at are for tile board on a floor that are a royal pain to install.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 600

Fastening Hardie Panel

Galvanized nails and a hammer. You only got 12 sheets to put up.
woodworkbykirk (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,056

Fastening Hardie Panel

hitachi siding nailers work amazing for hanging harti but if your only putting up 12 pcs.. theres zero reasoning to spend $450 on a nail gun
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

Fastening Hardie Panel

We usually install it with our framing nailer using full round head 2" galvanized nails. Lower the pressure so that the head ends up out a little. You can then tap it into the desired depth. We recently did one where we put cedar over all the Hardi stucco joints. I did use screws on the cedar, as nailing was difficult. I used a 2 1/4" stainless trim head screw. The screw went through the cedar and Hardi, and into the sheathing behind.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,056

Fastening Hardie Panel

ive installed certainteed fibrecement with screws and it sucked.. the screw method is very slow and the certainteed product is garbage in comparision to harti.

as for nailers.. ive tried the roofing nailer. it was blowing the siding apart. on one house we tried the 2 1/4 " nails made by hitachi specifically for installing harti however the heads are too thick and it causes hte siding to not lay correctly.. if you drive the nail flush it would crack the siding.. weve had the best results with the siding nailers using 2" stainless steel ring shank nails

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote