Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fascia Board what to do?

There are several spots where it appears the fascia board has sagged and/or rotted and the roof has lifted. It looks like the roof overhangs the fascia by about a 1/2 inch. Can I just take off the eaves, the metal between the eave and the fascia and then put in a new fascia board? It looks like the rafter boards are okay.

I'd like to replace the roof in in the next year but would like to take care of this now.

Also, I can't figured why there's a lip on the bottom piece of metal that the eave attaches to. I notice that where there isn't any sag this seams to tuck under the drip line lip. any ideas?

Quasi good section:

superstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #2

Fascia Board what to do?

Is there any additional information I can post to help with answering this question? Thanks

Old 10-18-2008, 12:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Fascia Board what to do?

If I am not mistaken, I believe that there may be a cedar shingle roof underneath the asphalt shingles, which is covered up by the c-channel or j-channel style metal.

The other one with the rib in the center looks like an attempt in the past to cover up the fascia boards for cosmetics, or are there crown mouldings behind there?

Irregardless, I don't think you will be preventing much more damage by leaving things alone if you Really intend on saving up and doing a new roof within the next year.

Can you post a photo from the inside of your attic, with good lighting, showing the bottom side of the decking boards?

I am looking to see if there are gapped spaces about 1 1/2" to 2' between each plank board and also to see if I see a cedar shingle roof being exposed between the gaps.

You also just may have the cedar shingles at the bottom eave edge, which were at one time, used as the drip edge instead of sheet metal. The deteriarated cedar is going to be very crumbly and if you are thinking about removing the bottom courses of shingles, you will wind up biting into the cedar too, which is going to open another can of worms for you.

Sorry it took so long to respond. I have been busy the past few days.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Fascia Board what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Irregardless, I don't think you will be preventing much more damage by leaving things alone if you Really intend on saving up and doing a new roof within the next year.
Ed
I agree. Let it be (sounds like a good song title).

The damage is done and going to all the effort to fix it now only to have it torn off again next year is not going to do a thing.

The reason that there is rot is because the gap between the flashing and the gutter is not matched up. It is allowing water to go behind the gutter and down your wall.

One more winter is not a problem as long as your plan is to get a new roof next year.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #5

Fascia Board what to do?

I was only able to get pictures from the inside of the garage area. Because the slope is so low in that area you can't see/get to it via the attic. I'm thinking of using some gap filling foam http://www.acehardware.com/sm-great-...i-1401723.html to temporarily plug the stuff up (maybe find the white colored stuff or paint it..) Think that is a good stop gap till next summer?

Old 10-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Fascia Board what to do?

Looks like you have some dry rot on the end of the joist and the subfloor. Can't see real well but this has been going on for a long time.

Better budget for more than just a roof.

Last edited by Marvin Gardens; 10-18-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Fascia Board what to do?

Well, the good news is that now I don't think you have a cedar shingle roof on the bottom layer and also that you will not have to resheath the entire deck, but it looks like you should budget for the bottom row of plywood and fascia boards and sistering in all of the rafter tails.

Thanks for getting those extra pictures.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fascia facsia