Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fascia board install - unlevel rafter tails

Hi,

I'm a first timer in the process of replacing fascia board. House has a hip roof with 2x4 rafters square cut to 2x4 fascia board. First 18" of plywood is taken off all the way around. I took the old fascia board off and ran into an issue - rafter ends are not level horizontally (up to 1/2"). I think it's mostly due to shims (between top of the wall and rafter) not being of a consistent thickness as well as several rafters having some axial twisting. Here is a sketch:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...hl=en_US&pli=1

My question is how to choose the best level to start from? My first thought was to put up a first 2x4, try to average out how much rafter ends are not flush with the top of the 2x4 with the same amount of other (lower rafters) below the bottom and find a median. With this in mind I installed first board at the corner, but after turning the corner and nailing 2nd board level with the first one, I ended with all rafter ends (that 2nd board is sitting against) higher that the board, i.e. my original "centerline" was chosen pretty low. I was wondering if there is a better way of doing this? Should I run a string line around the whole house to get a better level idea of all rafter tails? Should I base my level of the lowest rafter end and let plywood follow the rafters as they are instead of installing fascia board higher than some low rafter ends and forcing plywood end to sit of the fascia board with a gap to those rafters? That way I will have some gaps between plywood an 2x4 fascia, which will be covered by drip edge anyways.
Pardon my long write up.
Your input is greatly appreciated.

giperbolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

With two people, start your facia on one end, have the other guy lift the facia up and down while you nail the tails one at a time, flushing them using your speed square.
(your sketch looks like the bottoms are supposed to be flush, so you don't need a speed square).
Work your way down and you will see how everything pulled together as good as you're going to get it.
(This may cause nail pops in the sheetrock inside as you are moving the tails up and down).
(Hopefully you won't end up with too much wave in the facia. Doing this method gets you a happy medium, which is all you can expect).
(If you have any in-and-out, just go down the line tapping the facia out while the other person sights it for straight. The sheeting will keep it there, as long a you put nails in it).

Last edited by titanoman; 01-17-2012 at 10:39 PM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,984

I just use a chaulk line and set it to the tails on the two ends and snap it. Then just use a torpedo level and make a mark on each tail and make a horizontal cut.
Another way is to do it as the other poster suggested but instead of replacing the old 1 X use a 2 X instead. You just have to make sure it's set below the roof sheathing.
Want to never have to do this job again? Look into vinyl soffit and wrapping the fashia with coil stock.
It's not a DIY job but worth the money.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
I just use a chaulk line and set it to the tails on the two ends and snap it. Then just use a torpedo level and make a mark on each tail and make a horizontal cut.
Another way is to do it as the other poster suggested but instead of replacing the old 1 X use a 2 X instead. You just have to make sure it's set below the roof sheathing.
Want to never have to do this job again? Look into vinyl soffit and wrapping the fashia with coil stock.
It's not a DIY job but worth the money.
I was going to suggest using 2x also but I forgot to write it.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote