Fascia Along Gable Layered Like Shingles? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fascia along gable layered like shingles?

I apologize of I am in the wrong forum. I am thinking that fascia is sort of like flashing to protect the edge of the roof so I am posting this to the roofing section.

I hired a contractor to install fascia on 2 wooden covered patios attached to my house. They are simple 3/12 and 4/12 pitched patios. I noticed that the fascia along the side of the roof (gable) is layered so the lower piece of fascia is on top of the upper piece. It appears to me that water may run along the bottom edge of the upper piece and behind the lower piece, trapping water between the aluminum and the wood, and causing the wood to prematurely deteriorate. Shouldn't the fascia be layered from the bottom up as shingles and drip edge is done? If so, is it something a little silicone will fix or should I ask the contractor to come back and re-install the fascia pieces from the bottom up?

Advertisement

pldobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,516

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Shouldn't the fascia be layered from the bottom up as shingles and drip edge is done?
Yes it should.

Quote:
If so, is it something a little silicone will fix
No it won't

Quote:
should I ask the contractor to come back and re-install the fascia pieces from the bottom up?
Yes, have him come back and fix it. The situation he created is worse than no wrap at all. It will allow water in and likely trap it causing the fascia to rot.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
pldobs (10-05-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

alot of guys install the seam up,they say so you don't see the seams.. and they are right,most likely there will never be an issue

that being said i always face the seams down
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
MJW (10-05-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #4

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Now for the task of getting him to actually come back (he is paid in full).
Old 10-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
alot of guys install the seam up,they say so you don't see the seams.. and they are right,most likely there will never be an issue

that being said i always face the seams down
Seen it done that way a bunch of times with no problems, although I also install them starting at the bottom.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Seen it done that way a bunch of times with no problems, although I also install them starting at the bottom.
So I guess it’s ok to run the rake metal backwards too.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #7

nobody said it was ''ok'' but if you have ripped enough aluminum trim off you would know the direction of the lap is not generally an issue
Old 10-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
nobody said it was ''ok'' but if you have ripped enough aluminum trim off you would know the direction of the lap is not generally an issue
I’ve ripped off plenty of backwards cladding/flashing/wb details and many to my surprise had no issues but many others were not so fortunate.

It would be nice to see some consistency in you post in regards to drainage plains and not sidestep from your teachings too “most likely there will never be an issue” just because some think it looks better.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Well, what do you want to hear? If the fascia is installed rather tight and the shingles are hung over correctly, there should be no problems. I've seen way worse problems with Siders and their installs.

Think about the scenario..... maybe some rain water could be blown by wind into the fascia. It drips to the bottom of the fascia and maybe gets behind the next fascia on the very bottom. What is that part of the fascia in contact with??? The metal soffit material.

Chances are, it will run to the bottom and exit where it hits the corner box coil stock, which hopefully runs up behind the fascia metal. Then runs down onto the ground.

Not saying it is right, but I have yet to see any problems with that install. Like I said, I've seen way worse from siding crews that seem to know nothing about flashing.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:30 AM   #10

thanks for the advise Ron
Old 10-11-2011, 12:35 AM   #11

Sounds like it may be OK to run the seams up but maybe not. Being that I spent about 20K on two covered patios, and tore out stucco to install a flashing above them, I want the covered patio to last as long as the rest of the house. I called the contractor and to my surprise they came out within three days and switched the seams around. it only took about 30 minutes. Thanks everyone for all the advice and discussion.

Advertisement