Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is face nailing shingles ok?

I have just had a shingle strip and reshingle job done in Boston MA. The job was finished just prior to Tropical Storm Irene arriving. The roof appears to be watertight.

There are a number of places where the roofer has face nailed into the shingles (shingles just below dormers, and at the top of the roof at the ridge). I believe that there is Ice & Rain shield beneath all of these locations, but I am not sure of that.

Is this acceptable to do? Am I going to have premature leaking problems due to this?

I complained to him, and he came back and put I think butyl caulk over some of the exposed nail heads, but the majority are still exposed. Is caulking over them adequate or should they be replaced?

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Is face nailing shingles ok?-roof-face-nailed-below-windows.jpg   Is face nailing shingles ok?-roof-face-nailed-ridge.jpg  

Mark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,024

It will be necessary to put roofing cement or other sealer over each nail head.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

No. THere's supposed to be termination flashing there. Worst, you'll find a water trap on each corner of that dormer, becasue even if there is tram flashing under those shingles, the dormer side flashing isn't exiting on top of the roof there. The water gets in the roof at the corners when done like that.
What may be there could look something like this first picture.

It should look more like the one in the second pic showing the termination flashing without visible nails and the side flashing exiting on top of the term flashing, which then exits on top of the roof. ( This pic was taken before redoing the corner siding and finishing up in general to show the hidden detail.)
Attached Thumbnails
Is face nailing shingles ok?-corner-board-repair-6-.jpg   Is face nailing shingles ok?-tight-dormer-corner-6-.jpg  
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

tinner taught me this
Attached Thumbnails
Is face nailing shingles ok?-0524111522.jpg   Is face nailing shingles ok?-0523111026.jpg  
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote