DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Extreme Makeover Edition Joplin.

6K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  Marqed97 
#1 · (Edited)
I am very happy and proud and honored to announce that after submitting an application for participation in the Extreme Makeover Home Edition Joplin we have been selected.

I got a call a while back from the project division saying we were selected.,we will be providing 2 roofing crews,2 siding crews and a seamless gutter crew for the build.,

I have known this for a while now as I have posted it on another site.

I like everyone here at Diy and thought it would be cool to share.Our date and time allocations were sent to me today confirming our date and time.

On the 24th it will be roof,siding and gutters in 4 hours.

40 sq. in 4 hours as well as siding and gutters.

Extreme Makeover is building 7 houses in 7 days for Joplin residents directly affected by the May F-5 that slammed Joplin Missouri.We started doing work in Joplin about 3 years prior to the tornado.

Just for a little while if anyone is interested I have about 200+ pix I took while working in Joplin everyday since the storm.I will be posting them in an album on my profile page here on Diy.

I will begin loading them tommorow in my album.

See less See more
#22 ·
I received confirmation that this episode of Extreme Makeover Home Edition will be the last one.

The show aires the 20th of January.I am a bit nervous I must say.I will start posting pix of things irrelevant to our build.(Specifically)

After the show aires I will post pix of our builds and our processes.I hope everyone will be watching.

I feel very fortunate to have my company participate in such an event.Like I said before .,my guys and gals brought their A+ game.A company is only as strong as its dedicated workers.All too often people work forever and feel no gratitude from an employer.I think it is vital to show your crews that they are important and they are appreciated.

Funny thing is.,I was looking at some of the pix and there was alot of texting going on.Hahahaha.,but they had a unique experience.Now let's hope when those camera's were rolling nobody was picking noses or digging seat's.:laughing:

#37 ·
RM...

Just wanted to say 'thanks' to you and your crew, and to everyone else that has done so much to help out down there. I'm not a big fan of the show, but if it's helping out the people down there, awesome.

I was in the Twin Cities on business for several days during the time the tornado hit. One freak twister hit Minneapolis too. I'm from NW WI, tip of Lake Superior, we don't get weather like that. We are lucky. And as a result we really can't imagine the destruction that took place in Joplin. TV doesn't do it justice.

Once again, congrats and thank you's to you, your crew, and every other person, volunteer, and resident that is helping to rebuild. It's a long road, but with that kind of attitude, it'll hopefully be a road leading back to 'normal'.

And to the other poster...

'Fat people'? Really? That's the best comment you can make about the life destroying events these folks went through?

#14 ·
I have never been so pleased and so proud of my crews as I am today.We met our deadline and even took on another very demanding project for the Extreme team which helps the entire town of Joplin. I am so happy we could contribute to Extreme Makeover.I had 1 person taking pix and rolling video.We have 500 plus pix and about 2 hours of video.My guys and gals stepped up.I owe it all to them.What a great team.

#28 ·
Here are a few pix.One is when I caught my guy texting when he say's he never does.Hahahaha.,Busted!!!!.,Don't let the older people fool you about not texting.

Going over some very poor building prints from Drury University Architect Department.Just a draw plan with no footage or truss plans.

Pix of the spectator area.Lots of people were there watching.

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
I have a friend who did the electrical work for one of their shows. Said it was a little ridiculous what they wanted done, but was kinda neat.

Myself, I hate the show. They call it home makeover, but all they do is tear down a house and put up a new one that the homeowner can't even afford the taxes and insurance on. Being the location, it probably was half down when they started. Now they can come and "save" another family.

Congrats though.

#4 ·
40 sq. of roof, siding and gutters in 4 hrs, that will be fun to watch. :)

I usually don’t watch those shows but I won’t miss this one. Be sure to post the air date.

That’s got to be a lot of lanyards, don’t let the crew get tied up in one big knot. :laughing:

Good luck. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Well it is now underway.,.,A bit nervous.We will also be renovating a historical shelter in one of Joplin's parks.

I received a letter from ABC Television Networks explain that when we start our build we cannot under circumstance talk about the story line or which family was selected until the show airs.

http://www.joinextreme.com/supporters/joplinsponsors

#11 ·
#21 ·
Sly I feel very comfortable saying that if ever OSHA was to magically appear during one of Extremes builds they would run out of ink and citations before all the safety infractions were addressed,,,Major accidents waiting to happen.

#29 ·
One pic of myself and my wife with cast member Mike.

The goober with the pink facial hair was a hoot.He definately was cool.

Attachments

#33 · (Edited)
Knock them if you wish.Those "Fat" people lost family members in a very gruesome way.Most of the people on site were citizens of Joplin.They lost everything they ever had.But still had enough compassion to help someone else who suffered loss in epic proportions.

Some of these "Fat" people live in a make shift tent city outside Joplin.They have nothing at all.Their Christmas and thanksgiving in 2010 was spent in their homes with festivities and family,Christmas tree's etc.

This year they spent the holiday's mourning the deaths of relatives and children as well as friends.They have no job because the F5 took the weekly pay check when a large part of the commercial properties were reduced to rubble.I have met many heavy set people who had children killed.Several chunky kids that had their father sucked out of their home and found pieces of them for several blocks.A 400 pound man was sucked out of St. Johns hostpital and was thrown an 1/8 mile to his death on a basketball court.

I may be overreacting as usual but your question pi**es me off.Those "Fat" people hold a special place in my heart because of what I seen in their eyes after this storm.Many people were here helping those "fat" people from all over the U.S.

"Fat" or not.,when someone has lost everything and still has the compassion and heart to help other people in their community pick themselves up while ignoring their own wants and wishes.,.,well that to me entitles them to a little more respect than the question that was asked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.