Extending Roof For Advice - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Extending roof for advice

I am looking for some advice on a project. I am planning on super insulating my home, most projects that I come across recommend exterior retrofiting for most cost-effective and least disruptive renovation. Since the previous owners remodeled most of the interior already, it would probably not make sense to do an interior retrofit.
My problem now lies with the exterior, I have basically no overhang and gabble ends of my roof, but plenty of overhang on the eves. How difficult and expensive would it be to extend the roof on the end's, including relocating my electrical service, so I can add enough insulation to the exterior?

Some details of the house construction:
Single story home on crawlspace
Walls are 2x4, I believe on 16" center filled with fiberglass batt(this should have never been allowed in Michigan's climate in my opinion)
Ventilated attic composed of 2x4 trusses(also poor for insulation)has fiberglass batt with blown in cellulose almost a foot thick.

Some pics to illustrate my dilemma are in my photo album.

Thanks for any help and advice

Advertisement

notanarborist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You left out a few important details. What sort of siding do you intend to put over this insulation and how much insulation defines, "super insulating"?
Thick panels no not hold nails properly as the insulation doesn't really have any vertical support.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

You ask how difficult it would be, but are you planning on doing the work yourself or hiring someone to do it for you?

If yourself, then what is your experience level?

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanarborist View Post
I am looking for some advice on a project. I am planning on super insulating my home, most projects that I come across recommend exterior retrofiting for most cost-effective and least disruptive renovation. Since the previous owners remodeled most of the interior already, it would probably not make sense to do an interior retrofit.
My problem now lies with the exterior, I have basically no overhang and gabble ends of my roof, but plenty of overhang on the eves. How difficult and expensive would it be to extend the roof on the end's, including relocating my electrical service, so I can add enough insulation to the exterior?

Some details of the house construction:
Single story home on crawlspace
Walls are 2x4, I believe on 16" center filled with fiberglass batt(this should have never been allowed in Michigan's climate in my opinion)
Ventilated attic composed of 2x4 trusses(also poor for insulation)has fiberglass batt with blown in cellulose almost a foot thick.

Some pics to illustrate my dilemma are in my photo album.

Thanks for any help and advice
It's not quite as simple as tacking a piece on your gable end
There is your facia on the eave that has to be extended meaning the gutters have to come off as well.
You also need to resheet the roof from 2-4 ft back on the main roof, sagging of the gables may occur as well if you make it too wide.
If your electrical mast is under your eave there may well be enough movement in the wire to extend your gables(usually a hook holding them)
If your mast is on the outside of the wall it could be just incorporated into the wall leaving the meter exposed.
Keep in mind the siding will look odd as well unless you go far enough back in places so you do not have a straight line at the corners.
I definetly recommend you get some help with all of this. If the gable ends are not flat to the roof it will always show.
Then there is a tie in for the roof. Old shingles? Brittle?
Moving electrical wires is not for a rookie either
Something else you may ask yourself. How much money will you save at how much cost.
Dale Chomechko
DC Roofing Inc
Isit going to be 10-20 years to pay off the savings?
Dale Chomechko is offline   Reply With Quote