Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #1

Share |

Exposed Nails

I have some exposed nails on my shed roof. What do you recommend I use to cover them. Someone suggested an aerosol can of rubberized auto undercoating. They said it was very durable and less messy than roof cement.

one eye guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #2

Exposed Nails

The only nails that end up exposted should be the last two nails on the roof cap. A tiny dab of roofing tar or silicone is all that's needed.
If there's exposted nails holding the shingles down then someone messed up. The whole shingle needs to be replaced and renailed correctly.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #3

Exposed Nails

Joe, I know that what you told me is correct but here is what happened:
I recently reroofed my barn style roof and despite the good advice I got here on this forum I screwed up. I miscalculated and ended up with about 1 1/2" of overhang at the angled part of the roof. I tried to hand seal them with Black Jack roof cement and holding it down with boards overnight but soon after removing them they curled back up. So, in frustration I nailed them down. Believe me this is NOT what I wanted to do but we are expecting rain storms with high winds this weekend and I'm simply not prepared to risk having them blown off again which is why I had to reroof it in the first place. So, I'm stuck with what I have and have no choice but to seal over the nails.
one eye guy is offline   Reply With Quote