Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2012, 02:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 266

Exhaust vents covered up at roof?

I was wondering if anyone has seen this type of problem before. I know I've heard of problems where exhaust ducting goes to the attic but from there is not ducted to the roof with flashing and a flue vent, etc. where instead the duct is open ended in the attic for moisture problems.

But how about this scenario:

exhaust ducting (kitchen range fan vent, and gas stove/range exhaust ducting I assume as looks similar to furnace vent ducting) seen in attic protrudes all the way to celing of attic, seems like goes to roof. Check roof, see no matching vents and their flashing. Covered up by roof's plywood decking, etc.? No way to know until repair roof or reroof.

In the same vicinity there are plumbing vents which do get vented up the roof. I would assume it is highly unlikely the exhaust vents are piped or teed to those as I see no merged connections to them in the attic.

Under this condition, I assume the exhausting doesn't really work at all since it is vented nowhere since it's closed at the roof end.

daluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Not sure how anyone here can see your attic without at least a picture.
Should be as simple as going into the attic and follow the vents to see where it goes. They need to go through the roof not just close to it.
And no bathroom, and kitchen vents are never piped to a vent for the sewer gases.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #3

I figured a photo may be suggested. I didn't get a chance to include that earlier. Here's some.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oioz62c9j...entInAttic.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1u6bj99e0n...ntsInAttic.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/udx2fefli9f97hg/roofvents.jpg

The vents in question are the light grey ovalish one that looks like a flue vent for gas/furnace, and other one being the darker grey round one behind it (should be kitchen range fan exhaust vent duct). To the right of the light grey flue vent is a black plumbing vent pipe. These three are noted with a red square in one of the photos (1st one). In that photo the duct to the left with a brace at top is a bath fan exhaust duct.

You can see in the second one, a photo of the vents at another angle. You see the go up to/past the ceiling of the attic. I couldn't get better close up photos as the attic is really cramped and I don't want to accidentally hit against the gas pipe running along the attic in the photos. The rest of the vent pipes in the attic I believe should be plumbing vents.

The last photo shows the venting at the roof. You'll see a flue vent for the bath fan at the right, and a plumbing vent to its immediate left (sorry photo is a bit blurry in that area due to my phone camera needing cleaning). Based on relative location in the attic, the gas flue vent and kitchen fan exhaust vents should have been to the left of the plumbing vent (that's to the left of the bath fan vent). But we just see space covered by shingles there. The rest of the plumbing vents are there on the roof. Wonder why the exhaust vents were covered up during previous roofing. Too hard to connect and flash, limited space on roof, deemed unnecessary at the time? And now I have to fix this.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #4

No way to tell by those pictures.
That has to be some of the strangest framing, installing of the vent on the roof, and way of insulating a house I have ever seen.

Is that 4 X 4's for rafters?
Why is the ceiling not insulated, but the roof looks like it has a ceiling?
Why is there that big opening between the walls?

Those vents look like there's way to much metal showing. And all they did was make square cuts where they should have be curved around the base.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #5

Should have looked like this.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...+vent+pictures
Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #6

One note, just noticed I had one of the photos rotated 45 or 90 degrees:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oioz62c9j...entInAttic.jpg

That attic isn't insulated, and the (white) ceiling of the attic is the same as the ceiling on the rest of house. It's one of those old house designs where the ceilings arched upward in an angle/line parallel to the roof and you can see what I assume are rafters? along the ceiling. Like this home:

http://media.cdn-redfin.com/photo/8/...43872_11_0.jpg
http://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Jose/14...7/home/1208059

Some of those types of homes that are remodeled typically add some framing under the original ceiling and drywall it up to cover the original ceiling, either keeping it parallel to the roof or straight flat, parallel to the floor (but with lower ceiling as a result).

Perhaps the attic ceiling was never insulated during original construction of the home or it was removed to assess water leak or as part of the reroof done years back.

The home inspection reported the attic having 4x6 rafters and 2x4 joists.

And yea, the flashing wasn't done right for the vents.