DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

exhaust vent replacement tips

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  KAdams4458 
#1 ·
In my battle against roof leaks, I have only one - err - two problems. Two exhaust fan vents that leak rather violently. I have finally realized that they are not only installed improperly, but they are rusting out.

These buggers gotta go.

I'm thinking that two of these ought to do it. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Now, the whole roof needs to be replaced, but that isn't going to happen this year, and it may not even happen next year unless I do it myself.

Here's where my lack of experience in roofing matters shows. The roof has two layers of shingles. Several years ago I cut a hole in a roof and installed a vent, but that was a different house, and was fairly new construction, with only one layer of very pliable shingles. Replacing an existing vent surrounded by two layers of brittle shingles is new to me, and I don't want to jump in to it without gathering some more knowledge.

How do I remove the old vent with out destroying the two layers of shingles around it? The fact that there are two layers of shingles is what has me completely stumped. I can't find any references to replacing a vent when there are two layers, most likely because it is never really done. (Ideally, I'd just replace the whole roof and the vents at the same time, but there isn't enough cash for that, so I just have to keep patching for now.)

How would a pro tackle this? Your suggestions would be very appreciated. I'm a competent DIY'er in most situations, so advise accordingly. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Boy, I can come up with some tough ones, eh?

Here's my thought. Maybe if no one can give me some good ideas, they can keep me away from the bad ones. That said, I have an idea, and it goes something like this...

1. Rip vent off of roof with minimal disturbance to both layers of shingles.

2. Install new vent just like in new construction

3. Patch in shim pieces of shingle as required around vent to provide level area for second layer of shingles.

4. Install replacement shingles just like in a typical roof repair.

Anyone see a problem with this?

Oh, and I'd love a good recommendation for dealing with the wasps in the old vent. Normal wasp and hornet spray doesn't seem to get to the nest. Does anyone know if the foaming sprays will work better with a vent like this? I'm not sure how easy it is to kill them off inside of something that offers so much protection, so I figured I'd ask. (They're very large and rather intimidating when thirty of them crawl out and stare at you for getting within ten feet of the vent. I didn't get close enough to be sure, but a few of them may even have tattoos.)

#3 ·
By the looks of all that roof cement around the existing vents I would guess you'll probably need a couple new shingles per vent.

Use a flat bar to pull the nails out of the shingles surrounding the vent,than atleast four nails that are holding the vent itself down and slide it out.

The new vent only needs to be placed under the top layer of shingles,
they do not need to be under the bottom layer.

It's best to completely loosen and remove the shingles because you will just end up cracking/ripping them if you try to leave them in place and work around them.

#5 ·
It seems wise to have a bundle of shingles on hand. I'll remove the top layer of shingles around the vents, and then cut out the bottom layer of shingles as cleanly as I can around the vent base so that I can simply tack them back in place for the new vent to sit on top of.

Far as the wasp, get up there early in the morning and get the vents off quick and toss them in the yard some where out of the way.
That's an idea. I have plenty of yard. It's the quick part I'm worried about, but I'll give it a shot. My neighbours are all deaf, so they won't mind me ripping in to the roof, or running around with wasps chasing me first thing in the morning.

Thanks, Slyfox.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.