Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #1

Share |

EuroShield roofing product

Has anybody tried the Euroshield products?

They're made of recycled tires. The appearance is nice enough in the brochures, but I'd like to talk with somebody who has had real-world experience.

From the description, they make all kinds of sense:

- tough
- quiet
- insulating
- recycled
- functional replacement for asphalt shingles
- better than fibreglass shingles for northern climates
- I think the color goes all the way through

But, that's all unsubstantiated claims until somebody speaks up and says they've used 'em.

Anybody?

http://www.euroshieldroofing.com/

- kevin

kevinmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #2

bump/can these be purchased for DIY or only certified installers?

iconoclasthero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:59 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Don't trust them personally as I have seen a myriad of composite products like this fail before.

If you want longevity, go with steel. There are plenty of steel options that are proven to be 50 year applications.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #4

A material that is a 70% post-consumer recycled product that would enter a waste stream with few alternative uses enters my equation. Even if a steel roof did consist of that quantity of p-c recycled content, it is put to use in myriad more ways than gigantic piles of used tires.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Most of the steel roofs that are produced now do contain varying percentages of PCRC.

If the product does not hold up, it is going to enter the waste stream at some point in the equation.

I think life-cycle is the most important determinant of the "greenness" of a product in a roof application.

There are applications of roofs that are 50+ years old and them some. Couple that with the fact that a steel roof is going to make your home more efficient (in most applications of representative construction) than placing several tons of rubber across your roof and the equation becomes even more tilted toward the steel option.

I applaud your consideration of the waste stream but there are other methodologies of using recycled tires these days.

Do you know if there are any water run off issues with these roofs or if they need to be treated with any chemicals to make them UV stabilized?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Most of the steel roofs that are produced now do contain varying percentages of PCRC.

If the product does not hold up, it is going to enter the waste stream at some point in the equation.

I think life-cycle is the most important determinant of the "greenness" of a product in a roof application.
I agree, but you started off by admitting that you have no experience with their product. The manufacturer does give a lifetime warranty.

Quote:
There are applications of roofs that are 50+ years old and them some. Couple that with the fact that a steel roof is going to make your home more efficient (in most applications of representative construction) than placing several tons of rubber across your roof and the equation becomes even more tilted toward the steel option.
I was concerned about the weight too...but from what their site says, the newest product is 200#/square which is on the light side compared to asphalt shingles.

Quote:
I applaud your consideration of the waste stream but there are other methodologies of using recycled tires these days.
The fact that I have to pay a used tire disposal fee vs. the fact that I can have someone come to my house and pick up scrap steel and pay me for it shows that a) there are few real uses for old tires and b) scrap steel is used in many applications and can be rather scarce (I have a friend who is a buyer for US Steel).

Quote:
Do you know if there are any water run off issues with these roofs or if they need to be treated with any chemicals to make them UV stabilized?
Excellent point. I am assuming you do not know either?

Really what I, and I think the originator of this post, was looking for was if someone actually had any first hand experience with this recycled tire roofing material. Obviously you like steel roofing but have not used the Euroshield product.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

See responses in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclasthero View Post
I agree, but you started off by admitting that you have no experience with their product. The manufacturer does give a lifetime warranty.

True. I do not have personal experience with this specific product. That being said, I don't have personal experience with polybutylene plumbing but I do know that it has a specific failure rate in certain scenarios and if a product that was based around the same technology came out, I would be hesitant to trust it in lieu of much more proven technologies/materials.

Warranty is worth the paper it is written if the company has a proven product (ex. polybutylene pipe manufacturer). If a product has a mass failure, you warranty is pretty much worthless.

It is also worth noting that the company and product is only 12 years old.

I was concerned about the weight too...but from what their site says, the newest product is 200#/square which is on the light side compared to asphalt shingles.

200 lbs per square is about or less than a 3 tab. That is only available in their "lite" product which does not have the dimensionality of the other products. If you want the heavier slate look, it is going to way more.

The fact that I have to pay a used tire disposal fee vs. the fact that I can have someone come to my house and pick up scrap steel and pay me for it shows that a) there are few real uses for old tires and b) scrap steel is used in many applications and can be rather scarce (I have a friend who is a buyer for US Steel).

Excellent point. I am assuming you do not know either?

No. That information is not on their website or available. According to the rep, it is non-toxic and there is an MSDS sheet on it.

Really what I, and I think the originator of this post, was looking for was if someone actually had any first hand experience with this recycled tire roofing material. Obviously you like steel roofing but have not used the Euroshield product.

I have used composite products in the past that are made of recycled tires. My observations are based on my experiences. You are welcome to use my experiences or not. The post was not aimed so much at you or the original posters question, but to provide feedback for other future browsers of the boards.

As it pertains to his/her questions:
  • It should be tough, quiet, insulating (that is not the job of your roof though and can work in reverse in cooling DD climates), functional, recycled, and color stable.
  • I don't think you will be converting too many existing asphalt roof clients to this material but you can likely get some shake and slate customers converted over as well as some new construction clients that want a premium roof material instead of asphalt.
I think the original poster, after having not checked back for 4 months, may have made a decisions or scraped the idea. If he did choose the product in question, I hope he can post up some feedback.
You failed to address a couple of other points in your response as well. The thermal mass of similar products has been problematic for hot/insulated roof systems in other scenarios (i.e. huge mass of thermal battery trapping and storing the suns energy against the home can be a bad thing in certain climates).

The other Achilles of product that I see is its relatively poor fire rating (Class C) as compared to some of the other 50 year building materials. That is a deal breaker for some people and will disqualify it from use in some applications.

All in all, I think it is an attractive product. I have used similar and was not happy with some of the results. Hopefully this one is better and will be a suitable competitive product to steel. Steel's advantage in this case is that it is a known commodity and there are 100 year old roofs that are done in metal.

Tags
rubber roof